return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Tinley Reflections: An open letter from Mom . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Thinking of adopting a second cat-need advice

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Cat Discussions ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: PHMadameAlto at Sun May 22 21:52:00 2005  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by PHMadameAlto ]  

This is hard to address. Your cat may be an "only" kitty at heart. But she also may be getting lonely. In this case another cat would help. However from your description, she is very skitterish and may not adapt well to a new cat. She is still learning to trust you. I would give this some time to see if she mellows once she has been around you enough.

The socializing in the evening is not unusual. Cats are nocturnal animals and feel most comfortable in a darkenend environment.

Hopefully someone will add some words of insight here. Basically I'd say wait a bit on the adoption of a new cat.

>>Hello,
>>
>>I am new to the board. Sorry if this is long
>>
>>Background:
>>My husband and I recently adopted a new cat. She is an 8 year old purebred snowshoe cat that was used as a breeding cat for most of her life. She is quite skittish and it took her a month to warm up just a little bit. It’s now been 6 weeks and she still likes to hide most of the time and she gets very scared if you walk by her quickly or by loud noises etc. The odd thing is that she is less skittish at night; actually, she is very active and very talkative at night. She usually stops talking if I pay some attention to her. She has also started to be taken by me and seems sad when I leave for work.
>>
>>Question:
>>I am afraid that she gets bored during the days (and night), as we both work full time. I am also afraid that she might get depressed because she is alone all day. Should we adopt another cat? Is two better than one, or is one better? Initially we thought it would be great for her to be alone with us and to get all of our loving attention, because before, she was one of 10 - 15 cats in a cattery. She might have even spent some time in a cage, and the owner said that she never bonded with her. And if we should adopt, what is generally better? Another female or a male? An adult or a kitten? We are leaning towards another adult as most people always wants kittens. How about breed? Are some more easygoing than others?
>>
>>We saw this other 1 year old female snowshoe cat up for adoption at Petsmart by an organization called “Cats in need”. She looks just like our current cat and though it would be a cute fit. However, she was abandoned as well as just pregnant. She has already had her kittens…Would a recent mother be an ok fit? Is she too young still? In addition, because she was abandoned she is also likely to be a skittish cat, and my other thought is that perhaps we should adopt a more relaxed/curious cat so that our current cat could “learn” from the new one.
>>
>>Thank you so much,
>>Sylvia
>>
-----
Smile, it will make them wonder what you are up to!

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Thinking of adopting a second cat-need advice - syllagirl, Thu May 26 23:33:41 2005

<< Previous Message:  Thinking of adopting a second cat-need advice - syllagirl, Fri May 20 02:39:37 2005