return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Earth Day . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Healthy Herp
pool banner - $50 year

new cat

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Cat Discussions ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: Melgrj7 at Sat Feb 17 23:02:04 2007  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by Melgrj7 ]  

We have a 4 or 5 year old tortie cat, Snickers. I have had her since she was approx 4 weeks old, I found her in a garbage bag. When I moved out of my parents house she came with me and went from sharing a home with another cat and a dog (both whom she grew up with) to being alone. She became very needy and annoying, waking us up at 2am to play and such. After a year of this, trying lots of different things, we decided she needed a friend. So, a month and a half or so ago we adopted Ruthie. She is a 3 year old tortie manx.

For the first week we kept them seperate, locking one the the bedroom one day, and swapping rooms each day with short free roam sessons. They seemed to get along ok, no fighting, so they have been both having free roam since. We have 2 litter boxes, 2 sets of food/water dishes and an extra (3rd) water dish. The litter boxes are on opposite sides of the aparment and their food/water dishes are in different rooms (mainly because of space). There are 5 cat beds, 2 bought new when we got Ruthie and 1 cat tree, which we vaccumed and cleaned when we got Ruthie. The first couple meetings I rubbed them both down with catnip to try to make them smell similar

Now the problem . . . Every time snickers (the first cat) walks by Ruthie, Ruthie goes after her, hitting her in the face. Anytime Snickers comes near us if Ruthie is in the room Ruthie goes after her. We immedatly stop paying any attention to either of them when this happens. On the rare times Ruthie does not do this we give her lots of extra attention. Also, if Ruthie finishes her food first she will go and scare snickers away from her dish and finish her food (we stop her when we see her doing this). Snickers is literally double the size of Ruthie but apparently is a total push over. She used to do this to the cat and dog she grew up with, but more playing. Ruthie is not playing.

Will they work this out or is there something we should be doing?

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: new cat - PHKitkat, Sun Feb 18 22:55:18 2007