return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

When to introduce?

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Cat Discussions ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: littleangel77007 at Mon Nov 29 11:27:40 2010  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by littleangel77007 ]  

I have just gotten a new cat, and I have a few questions. Background: We've had a stray cat hanging around our backyard for a year and a half. We've been feeding her and keeping an eye on her, and getting her to gain our trust. Well, 2 days ago, we finally caught her. We literally took her straight to the vet, and had her spayed, tested, examined, etc. Fortunately, she's FIV/FeLV negative, and doesn't have fleas or ear mites, and is healthy and in great condition. The only problem she has roundworms. The vet administered 1 dose of dewormer 2 days ago at the appointment, and I just gave her the 2nd dose today, per my vet's instructions. But she has not had a bowel movement yet to get rid of any of the worms. My question is how long should I wait to introduce her to my two resident indoor cats? (She will be indoors only from now on too.) I have 2 spayed females already, and they are both healthy, without anything contageous. I also have a dog who was born and raised around cats and is very well behaved with them. I want my new cat to be recovered enough from the spay in case the resident cats doen't immediately take to her and a kitty spat breaks out. I also want to make sure she doesn't give my current cats roundworms. (My vet gave me a dose of dewormer for both of them too.) Right now, she is housed in a bathroom away from the resident cats. I'm sure the new cat and my current cats will probably need at aleast another dose of dewormer in the future. (My dog gets topical flea and worm preventative monthly already.) Any advice on how best to procede would be greatly appreciated.

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]