return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Polar Rodents - US based provider of frozen rats and mice.
pool banner - $50 year

RE: More problems w/ Bubba

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Cat Discussions ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: PHMadameAlto at Sat Aug 30 18:37:45 2003  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by PHMadameAlto ]  

I am glad the other vet was able to help Bubba. Thank you for the update on this situation. I certainly will keep him in my thoughts and prayers.

I would like to play the devil's advocate here and just say that many vets just flat don't do well with cats. Cats are not their passion and although they may like cats OK, dogs or other animals may be their first love. The reverse is also true, there are better cat vets who don't do well with dogs!

Another factor is education - if the vet is older and hasn't kept up with the latest findings in his/her profession then he/she will be unaware of the latest diagnostic things. This is not to say older vets are not well-informed, but some just might not be keeping up.

Finally there is just a matter of personality and being able to communicate with the animal at hand. Some vets just instinctively know by looking or feeling that something is amiss.

I'm not defending your vet here so much as to just make people aware that there are huge differences in veterninary talent/experience and practices. You did exactly the right thing by taking your cat to a different vet for a second opinion when the first was so obviously wrong. Frankly, I wouldn't go back to the first vet myself after your experience. Just because the diploma is hanging on the wall doesn't mean that the vet is the best one for your particular pet. Shop around if you are ever unhappy with the quality of care you get.

-----
Smile, it will make them wonder what you are up to!

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  Other cat now has problems w/ Bubba - PhunkyJess2k3, Sun Aug 31 23:54:42 2003

<< Previous Message:  RE: More problems w/ Bubba - PhunkyJess2k3, Sat Aug 30 11:54:55 2003