return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Polar Rodents - US based provider of frozen rats and mice.
pool banner - $50 year

RE: I'm about to give up on her

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Cat Discussions ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: birmangirl at Tue Nov 2 20:58:50 2004  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by birmangirl ]  

As I stated in my original post, she has gone to the vet and there is no underlying medical issue... she has also been put on Prozac which did nothing but make her loopy... The vet insists that it is strictly a behavior issue. Usually a cat with a medical issue will urinate in multiple places, not the same place repeatedly...
I can try locking her in the bathroom, but being that I have 4 other cats I think this is kind of a cruel way of "teaching her" since I am most positive the other cats will sit outside the bathroom door and scratch and meow... I put magazines on my bed this morning before I left for work, no pee today... but who knows what tomorrow holds...
I sure wasn't expecting this when I adopted her a year and a halg ago... I just hope she gets over whatever little attitude problem she is having and stops marking my bed!!!

Posted by: newigal at Tue Nov 2 12:24:20 2004

In addition, once you've established the root of the problem, be it medical or otherwise, consider buying the "Cat Attract" brand litter to help re-train her. I don't know what's in it, but my little girl is consistently using it, whereas before, she'd urinate outside the box at least once a week.

Feliway and Bach's are all good stuff. She may be better off being confined for a period of time, considering the abuse you relate. I never had any luck with Prozac or Buspar. If anything, the act of pilling was even more stress for the cat!

Good luck,

Nancy

>>Have you brought your new cat to the vet. She could have an urinary tract infection. My cat peed on the carpet near our door in front of us to tell us she was sick. Maybe that is the problem with your cat. If you have brought her already and she doesn't have any medical problems, you will need to retrain her to the litter box. I would lock her in the bathroom while your not home. Also, you can try feliways comfortzone plug ins. I have heard mixed reviews about it. I have never tried it myself. It costs about 30 dollars. Also, Bach's rescue rememdy works if you put a few drops in their water bowl. If all else fails you can ask your vet to for a prescription to an anti-anxiety medication.
>>-----
>>Jaime owned by
>>Mya the dog
>>and the cats:Crash, Moxie, Gabby and sometimes Tucker

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

<< Previous Message:  RE: I'm about to give up on her - newigal, Tue Nov 2 12:24:20 2004