return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Horned Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

Need help dealing with rebel kitty!

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Cat Discussions ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: ellerichards at Wed Jan 5 23:20:43 2005  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by ellerichards ]  

I have a 1 year old male domestic shorthair. Up until recently I have never experienced any problems with him going to the bathroom outside of his litterbox. However, over the last couple of weeks I have found his urine in various spots throughout the house. Initially he urinated in a pile of clothing that was sitting in a chair. I later found that he had also defecated in the chair and buried it under the clothes. A few days later I discovered a pool of urine on a plastic tarp folded up on the floor in our storage room. Most recently, he knocked over a full bag of cat food, ripped a hole in the side, and proceeded to squat over it and relieve himself into the bag of cat food. With the chair and the cat food incidents I actually witnessed him in the act and before I could even get the word NO out of my mouth he was off and running to hide, leading me to believe that he most definitely knew that he had been caught doing something wrong. At first I thought that he may be spraying. However, each time that I have caught him in the act he has not been standing, but has instead been squatting. Therefore, I concluded that he must indeed simply be urinating. The litterbox is cleaned on a daily basis so I do not see how that could be the problem. Since I obviously cannot watch him every second and have no clue as to where else in my house the cat might have used the bathroom, I have had to resort to confining him to specified rooms of the house when I am not at home and a kennel at night. This has proven disastrous. Since the confinement has been enacted, he has become extremely destructive (toilet paper, towels, trash cans, curtains, shoes, etc. must all be inaccessible now) and instead of exhibiting his normally affectionate behavior toward my boyfriend and I, is now quite rebellious. I have no idea how to discipline a cat with behavioral problems and I am running out of patience and options. Can anyone offer me any advice that may curb this undesirable behavior? Help would be greatly appreciated!!!

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Need help dealing with rebel kitty! - PHMadameAlto, Thu Jan 6 12:15:33 2005