return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Polar Rodents - US based provider of frozen rats and mice.
pool banner - $50 year

RE: My cat doesn't always use his litter box

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Cat Discussions ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: Fourka at Mon Apr 10 18:15:53 2006  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by Fourka ]  

Thanks a lot for your reply!
I'm thinking of visiting the vet during this week just to make sure. However, I too think that there is an attitude problem.

I think that the problem is that we have not trained him to go to his litter box at a specific place. We have him 3 weeks. We locked him in the bathroom during the first 2 nights and then we stopped because of howling. Although he used it the first 3-4 days, I think it is difficult for a kitty to learn so quickly in a couple of days. So when he defacated in his litter box and then we didn't scoop it because we were sleeping, he found another place and with such a limited training I think he got easily confused with which place is the right one. We tried again with the bathroom and he went mad. The next day of his madness I think he didn't like going in the bathroom any more. So do you think he could associate the litter box and bathroom with bad experience?

Anyway, since he got confused and since he sleeps and stays in the living room most of the day/night we decided to place his litter box in the living room and remove the couch. That was yesterday. Yesterday night was a success, he urinated and defacated in the litter box. But in the evening when me and my man were sitting in the living room he urinated in the hall on a bagback. Of course it was a mistake from us to put the litter box in the living room. Cats want privacy and noisefree places when they want to do their job.

One solution would be to lock it outside the living room during the nights since there aren't many "nice" places to urinated outside of it so he would go for the litter box. Or we could lock him in the bathroom and gradually let him be in a bigger space. The problem we have with those solutions is that the living room doens't have a door. So it is impossible to lock him outside the living room and it is impossile to gradually open the space for him to train him properly. Because when we open the bathroom door for him to open up the space a bit he immiadetely has access to the living room. And the best would be to leave the living room at the end because it is his favorite place. And the other problem is we can't get a door because we rent the house.

I think I should get one litter box more. So that there is one in the living room where he likes it during the nights and one in the hall when things don't go his way in the living room during the day. Do you think that might work? And if so how do I train him to use just one? Should I place the litterboxes close together gradually to the place I want it to be? Will that work or will he prefer to stay in the living room?

I know I should lock him in the bathroom or kitchen but then I think that he avoids getting in that "room" during the day because of fear.

I'm sorry for the big post but I try to figure out what is going wrong with him and what we have done wrongly because we are not experience with kitties, it is our first time.

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

<< Previous Message:  RE: My cat doesn't always use his litter box - PHMadameAlto, Sun Apr 9 21:34:04 2006