return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Feral cat and Litter box

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Cat Discussions ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: kittyromeo at Wed Sep 13 21:41:40 2006  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by kittyromeo ]  

You might want to try Feliway to help Mr. Kitty and Sara deal with their stress levels while the feline hiearchry settles down. Its synthenic happy feline phermones available in a spray or a wall diffuser. It can also help with marking but is better used in conjunction with other methods.

Recently one of my furballs was ill, her recovery set the whole house in turmoil. As a result, Annie cat who has been an indoor kitty since 2000 started pooping outside of the box for the first time ever because Stink, (the recovering kitty) was reasserting her place in the house.

I've used a wall diffuser, fed Annie treats in the affected area and stepped up the once a week dump and scrub litterbox cleaning to every 4-5 days. It took a week for there to be a noticeable difference from the feliway and we've had one set back - this morning she left me a gift. But its also one week since I bleached the boxes. Cats are subtle creatures at times. Even little things can upset or please them.

And on a final note - if little kitty is about 6 months old - you want to get him snipped asap. Hormones are going to tell him soon to spray. After that you can remove the hormones but spraying is often a learned habit by then. Call around your local area shelters - someone might have experience in ferals and be able to help you get little kitty to the vet.

Learned the last tip from a odd twist of fate - when I got my last cell phone # it turned out I was one digit reversed from a woman who does just this. This woman seemingly does everything but climb trees to help ferals judging from the misdialed messages.

Hope you can get this resolved before Hubby decides he has had enough.

Purrs,
Elizabeth

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

<< Previous Message:  RE: Feral cat and Litter box - mia2524, Wed Sep 13 10:43:01 2006