return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Horned Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Polar Rodents - US based provider of frozen rats and mice.
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Plays in litterbox (possible cause)

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Cat Discussions ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: Chatanuga at Tue Dec 4 15:22:35 2007  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by Chatanuga ]  

Well, I've been doing a bunch of reading as well as rethinking of what I've observed Casey doing at slow times today, and I think I'm onto something.

When Casey's using his litterbox and is "digging" around, he's not actually digging. It's more like when he's trying to cover up what he's left. I think he's not satisfied with his covering up job and tries it again, accidentally uncovering what he's just covered as well as whatever else is in the litterbox. He then wipes his paws, isn't satisfied with his job, and then repeats the process for about 10-15 minutes. Since this started when the loose stool issue began, I'm thinking that might have triggered it, especially since he wasn't doing it that first week he was with me and never did it at my parents' house.

One thing I've been doing is trying to redirect him out of the litterbox once he's covered his business and then praising him once he's left it alone. Based on what I've been reading, I'm also going to try getting his attention with toys and treats to get him to leave it alone once he's done. Also, the next chance I get, I'm going to completely clean out all three litterboxes and scrub them clean, using more of the Arm & Hammer litterbox baking soda and whatever else I can find at the store to try and give the litter a better smell for him. Granted, I've never smelled the litterboxes (can't smell things unless it's a strong odor), but then I'm not as sensitive to smell like cats can be.
-----

Chessie and Casey Jones relaxing together.

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Plays in litterbox (possible cause) - catlover101, Wed Dec 5 00:18:58 2007

<< Previous Message:  RE: Plays in litterbox - PHKitkat, Thu Nov 29 16:53:42 2007