return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
click here for Rodent Pro  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Earth Day . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Layne Labs - Natural Diets for Pets & Wildlife
pool banner - $50 year

my couch, the litter box

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Cat Discussions ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: pool_and_bear at Fri Dec 7 14:49:33 2007  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by pool_and_bear ]  

My dear boy, Bear, originally had an issue with the complete coverage of his business. He'd bury and bury and bury for minutes on end and throw litter all over. To my broom and scrubbing hand's delight I got him a new box (which was due anyway) with a lid on top. I figured he might be a bit stingy about a new box and such, but I got it all set up for him, and showed him what was going on, and hung around a bit the first few days to make sure he'd use it happily. He seemed quite fine with it for the past two or three weeks, until last night. I noticed first in the morning that he'd thrown up in the hall. Not terribly uncommon, he does it from time to odd time and I clean it up and suprise suprise the day goes on. but shortly after I notice something on my sofa. He'd left a nice big pile on the one side and being potty trained he knew to wipe up on my couch as well. It doesn't stop there, he'd also peed on the other side, and while i was inspecting that dose of beauty I realized there was a stain from where he'd peed prior and it had had time to dry out.
Hold your responses for one more tidbit.
Luckily (I suppose) I have a futon sofa, so I started to take the cover off and went to work on taking out the pee soked stuffing, and washing everything so that i might not have to purchase a new futon to replace the one that would be taking a long vacation to the dump. I had it pretty much clean so I left it to sit for a couple minutes to see if it would still smell if i came back to it after clearing my nostrils. I came back to the smell of pee, not due to a bad clean up job, but to a lovely puddle right in the middle of the futon I'd left on the floor to dry out.
I went over his litter box in between all this and granted there were a few scraps in there, but I didn't see a problem. I cleaned it out between the first attention grabber and the second dose, and even showed him that I'd clean house for him, but he still managed to sneak in that second helping. He's just over 6, knows about his box and has never had an issue like this since he was a tiny tiny puff of fuzz. It seems more behavioral to me, that he'd repeatedly go for the sofa, and does any type of business he wills onto it. am I wrong here? It doesn't seem like a health issue, as his urine doesn't smell horrid (well it does, but you know) and he's using it to poop all over as well.
Any helpful tips on diverting his interest from my sofa back to his box?

signed,
asking for a new futon for christmas now
aka ian

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: my couch, the litter box - PHKitkat, Wed Dec 12 23:24:37 2007