return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
click here for Rodent Pro  
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
RodentPro.com - feeders for less!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
pool banner - $50 year

odd group behavior - cat conference

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Cat Discussions ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: Rambozo at Tue Dec 12 12:24:13 2006  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by Rambozo ]  

I haven't seen it since, but I was reminded this morning of an incident that happened involving a cat my family owned when I was a child.

Patches was a mean, old, fixed, calico cat that I obviously named when I got her, about at the age of 5. She was a kitten when we adopted her, maybe 9 months old. When i was around the age of 7 or 8 (I think closer to 8) my family got home late one night to find a large group of cats, maybe 15 to 20 cats, sitting around in a circle in front of our home, Patches included. Patches was normally very mean and VERY territorial. Sometimes she would chase my own mother out of the backyard and was known to bite and scratch anyone who wasn't me. But she wasn't fighting with the cats in the front yard. She was sitting around in a peaceful circle with them, like they were having a meeting or a cat conference. It was pretty spooky.

Years later, when I was a teenager, we moved out to a small country town. One night my boyfriend drove me home from a date, and there, in our driveway, was Patches, sitting in the middle of a large group of cats, maybe 8 to 10 cats total. The cats again, weren't fighting, just peacefully hanging out in the driveway. They scattered when we pulled up, but the scene spooked both of us.

Has anyone else ever noticed this behavior in cats? This meeting behavior? This morning, I saw something similar in the parking lot of a curio shop on my way into work. But those cats may have been feral. If you do know about it, what are the cats doing? They seemed to be communicating somehow, but the scene was pretty quiet every time I've experienced this. Please let me know if you have any input, even "you're bonkers".

Thanks

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: odd group behavior - cat conference - PHMadameAlto, Fri Dec 15 21:32:29 2006
>> Next Message:  RE: odd group behavior - cat conference - kittyromeo, Mon Dec 18 17:36:51 2006
>> Next Message:  RE: odd group behavior - cat conference - marta, Tue Dec 19 14:36:27 2006
>> Next Message:  RE: odd group behavior - cat conference - Rambozo, Fri Dec 29 11:00:38 2006