return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Horned Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Help! Obsessive chewing on owners!!

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Cat Discussions ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: PHKitkat at Fri Aug 1 20:53:49 2008  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by PHKitkat ]  

Hi There,

I'm afraid that this aggressive behavior is a result of Mocha coming from a pet store, and therefore a kitten mill. These kittens are taken away from their moms and littermates much too soon and they also grow up without much human contact, if they get any at all. Mocha didn't have the time to learn from his mom and the other kittens how to be a well-adjusted cat. This is probably somewhat fixable, but it will take a great deal of time and patience and from your post you are already angry at this kitten. This does not help at all and will only make things worse. Perhaps the best thing would be to re-home Mocha.

If you want to give it a try, start by not using your hands to play with Mocha, ever. This teaches a kitten that your hands are toys and he thinks it's ok to bite them. If he still had his littermates he would learn from playing with them and they would bear the brunt of the aggression. Kittens playing among themselves will almost always be very aggressive. When one hurts another, they let out a high pitched noise which lets the attacker know that it is time to take a break.

It would be good to use interactive toys with Mocha so that he doesn't even get a chance to attack your hands. Playing with him will also be a good diversion when he is acting too aggressive. But as I said, it is going to take a long time to change the only behavior he knows. He is the product of whoever bred him and his only purpose was to bring in money. Very sad, but true.

You can get a purebred cat through a responsible breeder (one who does not overbreed and socializes the kittens well), plus gives a health guarantee, and be much better off. A good breeder will also take back any cat or kitten that doesn't work out and will be available if you need information or advice. You would pay more, but it would be worth it.

After saying all this, I personally would keep Mocha and work with him, but I have more time than most people and I work for a vet, who I know would be willing to help and advise.

I'm sorry for all you are going through....

PHKitkat

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Help! Obsessive chewing on owners!! - Chatanuga, Mon Aug 4 09:58:23 2008

<< Previous Message:  Help! Obsessive chewing on owners!! - savedjen, Wed Jul 30 07:01:34 2008