return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Healthy Herp
pool banner - $50 year

Ear problem in new found stray cat

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Cat Discussions ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: Petsr4life at Tue Jun 3 20:12:26 2003  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by Petsr4life ]  

For some reason...cats that are sick or need help seem to find me. A beautiful Tom cat that I have now named Oscar came into my garage about a month ago. He has shown up every once in a while for food and we had started to establish a relationship. This time I could tell something was not right. I took him to the vet and she wanted to put him to sleep. She said she was sure he had Feline leukemia. The test she ran was inconclusive but she discovered he had a bad ear infection. I refused to have him PTS even though she was sure he was postive for feline leukemia. I have been giving him antibiotics,ear drops and steroids. I have had him back and forth to the vet four times. This last time..he kept going downhill. By the way..after running all test for FIP, Feline leukemia etc all came back negative. His lab work was all in normal range...but the ear infection has persisted. I mean you could hear the fluid around and in his ear. They discovered after a more extensive exam that there was a tumor in Oscars ear. She said he would need surgery but that it would be expensive. Even today...my vet suggested again to Put Oscar to sleep. Again..I refused..saying I had to give him a chance for life. I could not let her do it. I told her to do the surgery..what did Oscar have to lose? Today they did surgery. He was so bad they were not sure he would make it through the surgery..but Oscar is a fighter and he made it. The tumor was the consitency of a lipoma but it is being sent off for further test. Please keep Oscar in your prayers. If anyone could offer any advice to help me if I get to bring him home I would appreciate it. They also nutered him today during the surgery. So hopefully...Oscar will recover and have a new forever home. Has anyone here delt with a severe ear infection before?? Thanks..(By the way...this is the fourth cat that has found me this year that I have had spayed and nutered. My checking account is going downhill fast!!)
Pat and the tribe...
Jake,CK,Sadie and Beaus spirits in heart forever..

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Ear problem in new found stray cat - PHMadameAlto, Wed Jun 4 18:49:38 2003