return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Layne Labs - Natural Diets for Pets & Wildlife
pool banner - $50 year

RE: kitten doesn't hardly eat but is HUGE

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Cat Discussions ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: LisaS. at Mon Dec 15 18:17:25 2003  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by LisaS. ]  

I just read your post to my 7 month old burmese who is 8 pounds and he's quite pleased with himself. His brother is 6.5lbs (also a littermate) but has a totally different appetite. I'd have this big guy xrayed, and checked out with a full blood panel, urinalysis, etc. Apparently obesity in cats does the same thing for them as it does for us: diabetes, heart issues, etc. Is your "baby" eating kitten food? If so, I'd talk to the doc about stopping and shifting to a combo adult/diet mix. My doc said nothing while I complained about Alexander putting on weight, so I took the initiative and shifted him to a high protein adult at 5 months and now we're on a 60/40 diet/adult mix. The vet now says he sees what I mean with the extra weight-duh! I also put balls in his food bowl to slow down his feeding frenzy. All that stuff about feeding kittens as much fatty kitten food as they want is bogus. It's fine if your cat isn't a pig, but otherwise it's just a recipe for obesity after 5 months of age, imho. We made sure he had the fat, protein and calories he needed and not any more. so now he looks like a sphere with a cat head and tail. He also exercises constantly-I think it is truly a chemical thing. His brother Ptolemy just is not genetically hardwired for obesity, but alexander is. I'd have your kitty checked out just to ease your mind and then gradually shift him to diet food. You should post a picture of him.

take care and keep us posted on the details of what you find,

Lisa S. ,mom to three kitties (Alexander the round one, Ptolemy who is just right, and Taharqa who is a tad skinny) and two bunnies, one who is very fat and the other who is just right.

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

<< Previous Message:  kitten doesn't hardly eat but is HUGE - katieandjay, Mon Dec 15 14:48:45 2003