return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

RE: It is that time of year!

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Cat Discussions ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: gocatgo at Sun Jan 30 16:49:19 2005  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by gocatgo ]  

Great reminder, Wildcat. This is so very important. When I got my first cat, Samantha, in 1998, I didn't know much about spaying and such. Actually, I knew nothing at all about cats and thought that vets were for when your pet was sick or had an injury. No thought whatsoever about preventative care. When Samantha went into heat the first time, I had no idea of what was going on. It was Pam, my daughter, who told me that Sammi was in heat and to keep her inside so that she doesn't get pregnant. That was no easy task. She'd cry and call and literally climb the drapes, trying to get outside. She was like a wildcat and it drove me crazy. Poor thing was probably feeling crazy herself. Male cats were hanging outside my window, calling to her.

Then she started spraying in the house, leaving her scent for any available male cat. She was in heat and she wanted to mate. I figured that she'd get over it.

In no time, she became a master at escaping whenever the door opened. She would hide behind the sofa whenever I headed to the door, and then run out as soon as I opened it.

I was right, the heat cycle ended.......she was now pregnant and only about 5 months old. She had 6 kittens - that first litter. Before she was even one year old, history repeated itself and she had yet another litter of 7 kittens. She was in the end stages of nursing that second litter when she went into heat yet another time.

But this time, I had finally wised up and took her to the vet to be spayed, in heat and nursing kittens still. I kept two of Samantha's kittens, Katrina from the first litter and KatyKatt from the second. Both were spayed at an early age and never went into heat.

Simba came to me already neutered.

All of Samantha's heat problems would have been avoided if only I had taken her to a vet and had her spayed.

-----
Ruby and the Kitties
Simba, Samantha, Katrina & KatyKatt
Meow!! Meow!! Meow!! Meow!!

How wonderful to do nothing and then rest afterwards. Meow!

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: It is that time of year! - PHWildCat, Tue Feb 1 20:21:16 2005

<< Previous Message:  It is that time of year! - PHWildCat, Sun Jan 30 13:55:09 2005