return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Earth Day . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Cat with recent diagnosis of Diabetes...

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Cat Discussions ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: Pepper at Thu Jun 30 18:40:32 2005  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by Pepper ]  

Thank you, Deb, for your information. You were very helpful and almost all of what you told me was validated by my veterinarian. I am happy to report that my cat, Cookie, is doing much, much better. She is now on twice-daily insulin injections and this marks the second week exactly that I have been giving her the shots. She is on Hill's m/d diet which is nicknamed "Catkins Diet" as it is for diabetic cats in that is high protein/high fiber/low carb cat food. She likes it moderately well and eats both the canned and dry m/d. She is eating well, though, as I give her boiled chicken breast occasionally. She is doing fine.

The insulin shots were very easy to master and I am having no problems whatsoever with that. The needles are ultra-fine and only about an inch in length. They are about the width of a human hair and you use a new needle each time you give an injection. I truly believe that Cookie does not even feel the injection as she does not flinch nor cry out nor give any negative reaction to the shot. I feed her right after her shot and she likes that.

I write down on a special calendar the time of day (both at 7:30 a.m. and p.m.), the amount of insulin (just 2 units each injection), and how well she ate after each shot. It is a Cookie Diabetes Journal. I also note any other unusual behavior of which there have not been many. Just to record anything that might pertain to her medical situation later on.

She goes back to the vet for re-evaluation and re-testing of her blood and urine in one more week. I will keep you posted.

To answer a couple of your questions: Cookie is not considered elderly. She is 8 years old. Yes, she was/is over-weight and the vet has been on me about this for some time. She weighed 14# about three months ago and then dropped to 11# over the course of about two/three months which is what mainly alerted me to the fact that she was ill and something was very wrong. I do feel a certain amount of guilt about not putting her on a lite diet a few years ago. But, we are getting back on track now; better late than never.

I will continue to follow the instructions and advice of my veterinarian and there is no reason to believe that Cookie will not have a long and healthy life if we can just get this diabetes under our control.

I thank you for your support, encouragement and advice. I appreciate it very much. Julie
-----
Pepper (one, fine, little dood)

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Cat with recent diagnosis of Diabetes... - kakel, Fri Jul 1 00:56:20 2005

<< Previous Message:  RE: Cat with recent diagnosis of Diabetes... - kakel, Sun Jun 26 01:51:16 2005