return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

RE: constipation/diarrhea

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Cat Discussions ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: PHKitkat at Tue Jul 10 23:39:39 2007  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by PHKitkat ]  

Hi There,

I was glad to heat that Sola's blood work is normal. It's possible that his anemia is related to his intestinal issues.

It is a fairly straightforward procedure to do intestinal biopsies on cats. Even though no masses have been detected cancer can still be present, as well as enlarged lymph nodes. One of the types of cancer most often found on biopsies is known as small cell lymphoma, which is very treatable. Cats can often live comfortably for years with steroids and a drug known as Leukeran is sometimes used as well.

Not to scare you, but it is fairly common for cats with IBD to develop lymphoma and for this reason I would have the surgery done. Sola has normal labwork so the surgery should go very well. You would be surprised how quickly cats recover from this type of surgery. They are often eating as early as the next day!

Sometimes during surgery a mass is found that has not been detected by other means, which is another reason to have the surgery done. Plus it's a good thing to know whether you are dealing with just IBD or possibly cancer. The vet would be able to treat your baby according to the surgical findings.

My cat Timothy is strongly suspected of having intestinal lymphoma, but he is older and in poor health so surgery isn't an option for him. In his case, treatment consists of a monthly injection of depo-medrol, which is a long acting steroid. This controls the severe inflammation in his intestines and helps tremendously with his diarrhea. He is still happy, active, and eating well and I am very grateful for that.

Please let us know what you decide and how your baby does. If you have any other questions, please don't hesitate to ask. I understand how scary this all is and want to help as much as I can.

Regards,
PHKitkat

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  intestinal lymphoma - SolaandLunasmom, Thu Jul 19 17:36:29 2007

<< Previous Message:  RE: constipation/diarrhea - SolaandLunasmom, Tue Jul 10 15:27:59 2007