return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Healthy Herp
pool banner - $50 year

RE: FIP question

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Cat Discussions ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: EJD28 at Wed Nov 17 00:46:53 2010  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by EJD28 ]  

I completely feel your pain. In fact, the day that you posted your message (Oct. 30) was exactly one day after I had to put my 5 month old kitten down for what we suspected was FIP. It's been a little over two weeks now, and I'm starting to feel better now. I was an absolute wreck initially-- honestly (and I know it sounds ridiculous) this is one of the saddest things that has ever happened to me in my life.

It all happened so suddenly. Thursday night I came home and noticed him breathing oddly- rapid shallow breaths that looked forced. Concerned, my boyfriend and I took him to the emergency vet. I thought that most likely it was a URI, which he had initially been treated for when we had first brought him home 4 months earlier. I considered the x-rays a necessary (expensive) measure to buy peace of mind and rule out anything serious. Honestly, I expected to be given an antibiotic and be on my way.

We were absolutely blindsided with the news that he was in extremely critical condition and that he had barely any lung space visible on the xray due to fluid or some sort of huge mass in his chest. Either way, he needed to be hospitalized overnight and tests were ordered.

The next morning I was informed that they had ruled out anything treatable, and the only feasible scenarios left were 1) FIP or 2) Cancer. Either way, he wasn't going to make it. I had to put him down less than 24 hours after taking him to the vet for what I assumed was nothing more serious than a cold. Like your cat, he died in my arms. Purring. It was absolutely gut wrenching and heartbreaking- and somewhat traumatizing. I can't get the images out of my mind. He was the sweetest cat I've ever seen, and the thought of his short life having been spent in pain that I was unaware of is absolutely devastating to me. Like I said, it's starting to get easier, but I don't think this is something that I will ever get over completely.

I offer you my sincerest condolences.

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

<< Previous Message:  RE: FIP question - shelbyb77, Sat Oct 30 16:33:02 2010