return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Pregnant cat with Leukemia

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Cat Discussions ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: PHKitkat at Fri Jul 10 12:12:41 2009  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by PHKitkat ]  

Hi There,

This is really a tough one because no matter what you decide to do the cat is going to be stressed.

I think that the best thing overall would be to take this cat in and keep her isolated in her own room. She should be able to carry the kittens to term since she appears healthy at this point. However, this can end up being a real heartbreaker if the babies are all born with the FeLV virus. Most likely they will be infected and they may not live long.........still I think having the kittens will be less stressful for mom than undergoing a spay. I am assuming that this is an advanced pregnancy.

Has the vet said anything about re-testing the mom-to-be? This should be done since there is the possibility that the test did not give an accurate result. The test is very easy to run but there is always the possibility of human error. I think it's very distressing that your vet is willing to euthanize this kitty just because of a positive test result. Some cats can live for years with the virus and it's even possible that a cat can "throw off" the virus and become negative.

Thank goodness that you were knowledgeable about having this newcomer tested. I have heard of people taking in strays, not testing them, and losing cats as a result. It's so sad.

Take care, and please let us know how things go.

Regards,
PHKitkat

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Pregnant cat with Leukemia - kisa9877, Sat Jul 11 16:20:36 2009

<< Previous Message:  Pregnant cat with Leukemia - kisa9877, Thu Jul 9 17:11:50 2009 *HOT TOPIC*