return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Polar Rodents - US based provider of frozen rats and mice.
pool banner - $50 year

CAT ON CHEMO 18 MONTHS LATER

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Cat Discussions ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: Lkitsch at Wed Jul 15 22:03:04 2009  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by Lkitsch ]  

Thought I'd check in after posting about my cat in Jan 2008. He was diagnosed with intestinal lymphoma and has been on lukeran and prednisone since then. After a couple-three rough months, he began doing much better, and today he seems to be thriving.

I take him back to the oncologist every 2 months and the blood results from his last visit a couple of weeks show that he remains in remission. He has regained some of his lost weight (actually, he was overweight before, so is about right now). He is completely off dry food at the vet's recommendation, so I feed him canned stuff and mix in a couple of things with it---the joint powder, fiber tabs and Missing Link.

He has a bit of a problem with constipation, so the vet prescribed lactolase, a stool softener. Any other, more holistic or natural, treatments?

I have noticed a couple of gradual changes over the past year or so, and while I am told this is normal for a senior cat (he is pushing 13), I thought I'd run this by you all for any opinions: he is a bit "bonier" than before and he doesn't jump as well as he used to (some jumps that he once made with ease, he misses on occassion, and some of the higher ones he just doesn't even bother with). I am told to expect that in an older cat, especially one with health issues like mine.

Behaviorally, he seems fine, though he sleeps more also. But he still goes out of his way to tease one of my other cats (a sweet but stupid 8 year old long haired female) for fun. And, about a month ago, he sneaked out onto the balcony and caught (and subsequently killed) a small songbird, something he has only done a few times over the years. So it seems the old boy still has the killer instinct in him after all.

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: CAT ON CHEMO 18 MONTHS LATER - PHKitkat, Sat Jul 18 17:27:25 2009
>> Next Message:  RE: CAT ON CHEMO 18 MONTHS LATER - ttpurr4cat, Sun Jul 19 15:59:45 2009