return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Healthy Herp
pool banner - $50 year

Wet Vs Dry & Back to the Future

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Cat Discussions ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: LKitsch at Sun Sep 13 13:47:51 2009  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by LKitsch ]  

I recently posted good news about my 13 year old neutered male cat who is in remission from small cell intestinal lymphoma, and has been for about a year and a half. I am also posting this to the nutrition board because I am not sure where it belongs.

Mr P is doing so well that he has reverted to his bad eating habits from his healthier youth. He has always been notoriously finicky (he won't even touch treats or people food---except inexplicably Cool Whip). For years, his basic diet was low calorie premium dry food with an ocassional (3 times a week) 3-oz can of mid-priced wet food if he felt like it. When he got sick, the vet recommended he go completely to wet food. At first, I fretted over the fact I have two other healthy younger cats that eat both wet and dry food, and was concerned that he would still eat the dry stuff.

To my amazement, as if he knew, he stopped eating the dry food and started eating the wet exclusively, and this lasted for 18 months. I should mention that he is on an appetite stimulant every other day to keep his weight up because he is so finicky. Well, a few weeks ago, I noticed he was refusing the wet food more often than usual, and that the dry food stations were emptying out much more quickly than normal.

Then I realized that he had gone back to the dry food. He seems to be tolerating it, and keeping it down. Today, a Sunday, in order to force him to eat the wet food, which is better for him and in which I can put all kinds of supplements and vitamins, I removed the dry food from the house for all the cats.

Right now, he is sitting there staring at the empty bowl and glaring at me. My hope is that eventually, he will cave in and eat the wet food. Any insights or suggestions? Maybe I should just get rid of dry food altogether for all the cats? The big issue with that is the inconvenience for me.

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Wet Vs Dry & Back to the Future - PHKitkat, Tue Sep 15 19:53:07 2009