return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
click here for Rodent Pro  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Earth Day . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

gingiitis

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Cat Discussions ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: ncat at Mon Jan 17 10:26:41 2011  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by ncat ]  

My 5 1/2 yr old cat, Mason has had gingivitis for years now. He has been given long acting steroids, numerous antibiotcs and daily biotene gel and water additive wth poor results. Currently he was on a daily dose of flagyl along with the topical gel. He has been on various antibiotics for months. I took him to the vet recently only to find that the vet we were going to 'was no longer wth the group and noone knew where she practices now". So I see another vet who tells me to stop the Flagyl because he is likely to be or become resistant. The past vets plan was to wean him to daily doses to several tims a week. I am to consider in 3 mos having his upper teeth removed. The vet did not want to give more steroids because of the side effects. He also said to continue the biotene gel. In one weeks time I can see his upper gums are redder in color and the odor is stronger. He is a small always thin cat but is still eating the same. The vet said I could feed him kitten food to gain weight. I looked online and found his gingivitis falls under the syndrome of LGPS which I assume he has. Does anyone have experience with this? Are there vets who specialize in dental problems ? I ordered a product on line called LEBA III which is a spray that is supposed to change the ph o the mouth which inhibits bacteria growth. I have not used it yet. I put Mason back on the daily Flagyl which I have.

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]