return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Layne Labs - Natural Diets for Pets & Wildlife
pool banner - $50 year

18 y.o. won't eat after abscess - HELP!

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Cat Discussions ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: mleak at Sat Aug 12 19:37:50 2006  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by mleak ]  

If anyone has any suggestions, I would be extremely grateful.

Let me explain what led up to this. My cat Tiana is nearly 18 now, but she's always been extremely healthy. No problems whatsoever, until now. One night a few weeks ago, she came inside after being gone longer than usual, and the next day, she began to limp. The vet couldn't find any apparent problems, so we brought her home to keep an eye on her. After about a week we discovered that a large abscess had formed, so we took her back to the vet. He opened and drained the abscess and put her on 10-day antibiotics and some painkillers.

She's done with the antibiotics now, and the abscess is gone, but she still has a severe limp. The vet couldn't find any sort of broken bone, though Tiana responds to touch as though there's something wrong with her tendons or ligaments, perhaps. She gave us a much milder painkiller to give her.

Unfortunately, toward the end of the antibiotics, she began to eat less and less, and she has become very lethargic. She is usually on one of our laps for at least a couple of hours every day and on my bed at night, but she hasn't done either for days. Now, we can hardly even get her to eat at all. She normally eats dried food, which she has ignored completely. She wasn't even tempted by smoked salmon, her favorite treat. We tried getting several different types of wet foods and microwaving them, and last night I was able to get her to eat a little bit this way, though she mostly just licked it. Today she has only given the food a sniff here and there.

Does anyone have any ideas? I'm getting really worried. She has always been on the thin side, only about 7-8 pounds, and she has already lost weight in the last week, almost a pound, which seems like a huge amount. What else can I do? The vet will be closed until Monday, and the car ride is extremely traumatic for her as it is.

Thanks in advance

Emily

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: 18 y.o. won't eat after abscess - HELP! - PHMadameAlto, Sun Aug 13 18:35:41 2006
>> Next Message:  RE: 18 y.o. won't eat after abscess - HELP! - PHKitkat, Mon Aug 14 00:26:18 2006