return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

3yr old female lethargy/eating problems

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Cat Discussions ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: resteazy at Sat Dec 30 12:07:06 2006  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by resteazy ]  

Dear Forum Members,

Our 3 year old girl, Mochi, has been having a really rough past few days. Last Wednesday evening she was normal, happy, and eating fine. Then Thursday morning she didn't move from her cat bed (or really wake up much) for morning feeding--she's usually quite enthusiastic about it.

When I came back home Thursday after work, it looked like she hadn't moved. When I tried to get her to eat, she wouldn't do it. She just lowered herself onto her side on the floor and lay back down. At this point I took her to the vet.

The vet did blood work, x-rays, and general review. He couldn't find anything particularly wrong with her except a little dehydration and when he was palpating her, she got very tense around her stomach. So he gave her an injection of fluids and suggested that I keep an eye on her overnight and bring her to her normal vet if she's not better in the morning. After we got home, I managed to get her to eat one piece of dry food at a time (~20 pieces). Then she slept with the same lifelessness for the night.

In the morning (Friday) she wasn't any better, so I took her to her normal vet. The vet decided to keep her for the day and give her IV fluids and an enema. The enema seemed to help her, but did cause her to throw up. The vet also gave me A/D wet food to feed her at home and a reccommendation of some pepsid with the wet food. We took her back home and she ate about the same as before (~10 pieces of dry food and a little wet food).

Now it's Saturday morning, and she still hasn't improved at all. She did eat some dry and wet food again, but we're not talking about all that much here (1/8 of a can ~10 pieces of dry food).

We've talked to the vet again this morning--she thinks that as long as Mochi doesn't get worse, then we should just stay the course. I'm still very concerned though. This has happened so suddenly to a 3 year old cat, and I don't like this lack of diagnosis when she isn't really improving. Also I'm worried about this fatty liver disease--and that the amouns she's eating isn't enough (but I really don't know if that worry is justified). Another thing is that when I get her to walk, she moves as though she's very uncomfortable (back kind of arched, weak/somewhat shaky steps, but not with belly sunk to the ground).

Are there additional diagnostics that I can ask for from the vet? Another round of blood work or urinalysis? Any other screenings? Should I get a second opinion? I'm really worried for her especially since it's New Year's weekend and vet care is going to be tougher to get without going to the emergency clinic.

-Mike and Ansley

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: 3yr old female lethargy/eating problems - PHKitkat, Sun Dec 31 00:44:56 2006