return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

10 day old kittens with Giardia (I think)

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Cat Discussions ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: Anathama at Fri Jul 16 19:40:43 2004  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by Anathama ]  

My wife found some newborn (perhaps 1-2 days old) kittens in a storm drain about 10 days ago. We have been feeding them replacement milk via syringe and now bottle with not much of a problem so far.

The problem is runny poop every single time. This problem has now spread to my 13 week old kitty and one of our 9 year old cats. The fact that the older cats have _very_ smelly feces leads me to believe they all of Giardia at this point. I know I can fix the older cats with metronidazole (Flagyl), but I'm not sure what to do about the little ones.

As I have very little money and currently no job, I do not have the resources to take all the cats to the vet at this point.

I assume that kittens this young (~11 days, eyes just opening) should be cured as fast as possible, but I have not been able to find any antibiotics that are deemed "safe" for kittens.

After several hours of looking online for a place to obtain the metronidazole cheaply, I discovered that "Fish Zole" from Thomas Labratories is actually just 250mg of Metronidazole, sold in bottled of 100 for only $15. This is a savings of about 90% off the normal price for the same product when marketed to cats/dogs and people, and something I can afford. (Kitten milk is not cheap, and thats where most of my money is going right now)

So, I guess my questions are:

1.) Can 2 week old kittens be given metronidazole?
2.) If so, is there a dosage chart somewhere?
3.) If not, is there something else I can give them for Giardia?

Thanks in advance.

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: 10 day old kittens with Giardia (I think) - JaimeMarie, Sat Jul 17 10:16:33 2004