return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Sick kitty....so sad...need some advice.

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Cat Discussions ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: PHMadameAlto at Sun Apr 17 20:01:19 2005  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by PHMadameAlto ]  

I think a second opinion from a feline-only vet is defintely in order.

From what I understand sometimes Tapazole can take a while to help. If you are having trouble administering it orally there is a form you can rub on the ear tips.

I am fearful from your discription that something else may be going on with the cat besides a thyroid problem, so please don't hesitate to get her to another vet very quickly.

Good luck! I hope that she can be helped!

>>I have written here before and have got such great advice, but I really need some advice about my 13 yr. kitty (and prayers). I'm just devastated...
>>
>>We took her for blood tests last year because she was not using the litterbox and just not acting right...everything came back fine. So we just chalked it up to behavioral issues with new outside cats we had and maybe just a little spoiled.
>>
>>Over the past month she has had chronic diarrhea and vomiting. The vomiting has been off and on and my vet pretty much said it was hairballs. (not) We noticed that she was even having diarrhea in spots in the house where it was soo unlike her. Her balance started getting wobbly...sometimes falling when she jumped on something or when she would shake her head, she'll get off balance. So just this last week, the vet did a geriatric screening on her. Amazingly enough, most everything came back okay (so he said). I have the results in front of me and I'm not pretending to be a vet, but I have been doing some research on the net. First of all, her thyroid level was 4.18, with normal being 1.0-4.0. The vet said he thinks the reason for the vomiting and diarrhea is because of that.
>>
>>Now the worst part...I feel like SUCH a bad mommy....this brought me tears. She is down to 4.4 pounds. I about died when he said that, although he didn't seem too concerned. A year ago she was 7 pounds. I know this diarrhea and vomiting that has been going on is the culprit for this. She is simply getting no nutrition. She is very finicky...meows/howls all the time...typical symptoms of a cat with thyroid conditions. The vet gave us some Tapazole to put our cat on--didn't even mention the radioactive treatment to us. Unfortunately, we cannot do it anyway due to a pending adoption we have going on due to the $$$$. Just gave us the pills and said...you'll notice a difference soon.
>>
>>Well it's been 3 days on the medication and she is still having the diarrhea, although not vomiting. That is mostly because he gave her some anti-vomit medicine to help her. He thinks the reason she is falling is because she is simply weak from having no food in her body.
>>
>>I have seen NO change in her so far and in fact is acting worse. She is very distant with us...not doing her usual things like sleeping with us and laying on us...she acts dazed and very "sad". Walking around the house meowing and moping. BEGS for food. Eats and eat and eats. We are just beside ourselves with worry because we know she isn't good.
>>
>>My question is ... even if the blood tests didn't show anything too abnormal, could there be something wrong they aren't seeing or do you think the reason she is acting this way is due to the medication?
>>
>>We can't get the weight back on her if she has having this diarrhea. The vet said her weight would begin to come back after getting thyroid issues under control, but I just cannot find any resources on the net that would tell me how long it will be before she starts to feel better? That T4 number doesn't even sound particularly bad?? Does she even have problems??
>>
>>Also, the only other thing is that "Neutrophils"/Neutrophilia was high. The vet didn't seem concerned. WBC and RBC...feline leukemia, came back fine.
>>
>>Should I take her to another vet for a second opinion? She is clearly not herself. We live in a small town and this is the "town vet" and he doesn't like elderly cats very well and always reminding me that his cat charts don't even go past 12 years of age. *sigh* I really just think she is extremely weak from throwing up and diarrhea, but what is the cause of that?
>>
>>I just need some advice...
>>
>>Thank you for reading this far!
>>
>>
>>Kristi.
>>
>>
-----
Smile, it will make them wonder what you are up to!

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Sick kitty....so sad...need some advice. - Kristi62870, Sun Apr 17 20:36:10 2005

<< Previous Message:  Sick kitty....so sad...need some advice. - Kristi62870, Sun Apr 17 00:04:38 2005