return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Healthy Herp
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Kitty with Pituitary Damage?

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Cat Discussions ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: PHMadameAlto at Sun May 22 19:25:53 2005  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by PHMadameAlto ]  

Awww! Poor Petra. She is lucky she found a good home. I suppose that her stunted growth could be a result of the trauma she endured. One way to tell whether or not is indeed pituitary related is to request a test if one is available. However, I don't know if there would be any treatment if there were something wrong with her endocrine system.

If your vet thinks Petra is just a "small" cat with some brain damage, then you can take it at face value. Or you could get a second opinion, perhaps from a feline only vet, or if you live within driving distance of a veterinary school, you could go there.

Best wishes. It was kind of you to adopt her, and I wish her many long years of happiness!

Hi, I just wanted some opinions about my 3-year old cat, Petra. When she was 5 weeks old, her previous owners stepped on her head. They took her to the emergency vet clinic, but couldn't pay the bills, so they turned her over to the hospital. Petra wasn't given a 40% chance to survive: she was bleeding from her mouth and nose, breathing through her mouth (not normal for a cat), was non-responsive for a few days, had a seizure, and so on!
>>
>>Within a week, she made a miraculous recovery! As I was looking for a companion for my then 11-year old cat Tobie, I adopted her on the condition that she wouldn't need around the clock care (I couldn't give her that). Other than that, I didn't care if she was blind, deaf, or brain damaged. I loved her, and she was so damn cute on top of it! I brought all 15 oz. of her home.
>>
>>One thing I notice was that she didn't grow up to be a big cat - she's short and compact (partly due to Persian ancestry). Very early on (2-3 mos. old) she developed the saggy belly pouch most fixed cats get. It seemed that her hormones told her to store the food as fat, not make her bigger. At 5-6 mos. I got her fixed. The vet commented that she was very unually - her uterus was very small, and "tied in there real tight - hard to get out."
>>
>>I began to research pituitary gland damage, and specifically growth hormone deficiencies. She seemed to have some of the traits: small posture, stocky bones with organs "compressed" into a smaller than normal frame, reproductive problems, as well as kitten-like fur and voice. A few articles indicated that cats with growth hormone deficiencies live short lives. I expressed my concerns to my vet, who shrugged them off. He said that I just have two small cats (both Tobie and Petra are small framed, and each weighs about 7-8 pounds). He showed me that although Petra has vision problems, she is not completely blind in either eye.
>>
>>For one, I respect, and trust, my vet. He is excellent, respects and love animals, and on the New York State Veterinary board. However, I know that not all vets know everything (they're only human like the rest of us). However, Petra definitely expresses other signs of brain damage: she has vision problems, learning difficulties, runs like a rabbit instead of a cat, is paranoid and sometimes afraid of me and my husband, and she doesn't groom herself. She's not one of the most intelligent cats I've owned! But she is slowly learning, and becoming more affectionate.
>>
>>Has anyone else heard of a cat with brain injury at such a young age? Did they ever experience symptoms similar to Petra's? What about life expectancy? If there is anything I can do to help her, I will.
>>
>>Thanks for all your comments and help. Nikki
>>
-----
Smile, it will make them wonder what you are up to!

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

<< Previous Message:  Kitty with Pituitary Damage? - MacNik6, Sun May 22 18:28:07 2005