return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Missing the litter box, cause for concern?

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Cat Discussions ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: AshleyElla at Fri Sep 9 21:09:09 2005  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by AshleyElla ]  

Hi,

I do think this is cause for concern, especially since it happened more than once. Cats often urinate out of the litterbox when they have an infection, and the strong smelling urine may indicate that one of the cats has this problem. I recently saw one of my cats spray and also miss the box later on the same day. When I took her in, it turned out that she had not only an infection, but her kidneys were starting to fail. The antibiotics took care of the infection and she is now on subcutaneous fluids for her kidney failure.

BTW, a good rule of thumb is to have one litterbox per cat plus one extra. I am owned by 9 (soon to be 10)cats and have 11 litterboxes in the house. It would be a good idea for you to add at least one more litterbox.

Since you believe you know which cat missed the litterbox, I would take her in for the vet to get a sample of urine directly from her bladder. If you can possibly keep her from using the box for at least a few hours before bringing her in, that would be ideal.

Please let us know what the vet says.

AshleyElla

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Hide Replies ]

>> Next topic:  lump on kitten's neck - laurasly, Sun Sep 11 11:18:28 2005
<< Previous topic:  cats and puking - mishy, Thu Sep 8 16:05:53 2005