return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Earth Day . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

Third eyelid stuck at "half mast"

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Cat Discussions ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: Sasheena at Wed Feb 8 21:42:35 2006  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by Sasheena ]  

Let me tell you a little bit about "The Freak"...

He adopted us last year on the Fourth of July. He is a butterscotch tabby and was approximately 4 or 5 months old. His tail was broken in several places, and the way he cringed at a hand waved over him, or bit when touched led us to believe he was mistreated and either moved out voluntarily, or was just thrown from a passing car.

When we got him he had an explosive sneeze, with blackened areas around his eyes and nose from dried up snot and "eye goobers" (don't know what to call them). Eventually his sneeze went away, but he always seemed to have some sort of nasal discharge leaving him with a black ring around his nostrils.

Lately, the last couple of weeks, he doesn't appear to be feeling very good. He hasn't started to sneeze, but his third eyelid has been a little bit visible and he feels a little warm when I touch his nose. Today his third eyelid is at "half mast", half covering his eyeball.

While he has still enthusiastically played with me every day since he started to feel bad, he doesn't appear to have as much uumph and energy. This is a cat who is probably approaching his first birthday, likely only 10 or 11 months old. He's been fixed and dewormed since we got him. I'm concerned and want to help him.

I know that the immediate question/response is "what has the vet said." I have to clarify (please don't villify me) that a condition of "cat ownership" that my husband insists on is that other than fixing the animals and the basics of shots, etc, he prefers to let "nature take its course". If an animal develops an illness we will make sure it is comfortable, and if/when it seems likely that the animal is in pain, we will put the animal painlessly to sleep. He does not believe in spending money on vets. While I might have a few differing opinions, a lot of my own feelings are in line with his and I do not argue about this with him.

SO, given that a vet is out of the question, are there any suggestions on what might be wrong with "The Freak" and any suggestions on how we might make him feel better? He's still very frisky, at the moment he is tussling with another foundling alley cat (our only felines are those that adopt us).

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Third eyelid stuck at "half mast" - PHMadameAlto, Thu Feb 9 21:57:40 2006
>> Next Message:  RE: Third eyelid stuck at "half mast" - AshleyElla, Thu Feb 9 22:50:57 2006
>> Next Message:  RE: Third eyelid stuck at "half mast" - ChrisX80z, Sun Feb 12 13:16:40 2006