return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Polar Rodents - US based provider of frozen rats and mice.
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Third eyelid stuck at "half mast"

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Cat Discussions ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: ChrisX80z at Sun Feb 12 13:16:40 2006  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by ChrisX80z ]  

I go the shivers reading your post. There are so many eerie similarities between your cat and my Fritz, who is now at the bridge.
Fritz was born on July 4, 1988. Shortly after we got him, he started vomiting, stopped eating, and the third eyelid popped out. I can distinctly rememember him seeking out heat and facing the wall, as well. Long story short, Fritz had a kinked intestine - I know there's a medical name for it, but it was explained to me as a kink. He was about 10 months old at the time and had to have a large portion of the (large) intestine removed.
He lived to be 16 years without any complications from his surgery as a kitten - BUT - he could have easily lived a longer, more pain free life.
When Fritz was about 10 years old, I noticed him straining and urinating in copious amounts. At the time I was about 18-19, a college student and lived at home. What does this have to do woth you and your cat? Well, I brought this to the attention of my mother, who was adamant that we let nature take its course. Those were her exact words. Eventually, he had to be treated for the horrible urinary tract infection he had. We took him to a crapshod vet who gave him Baytril and caused him to loose his vision - but thats another story.
My point is that the UTI never got under control and he had all sorts of $$$$$$$ complications from it. Because it wasn't treated early, it led to kidney disease, and eventually he died of renal failure ;o( He was in extreme amounts fo pain, and all because we let nature take its course.
Funny thing is, when my mother had a terrible cough, she also said those famous words - let nature take its course - and ended up with chronic bronchitis that nearly killed her.
When you let neature take its course, you may not end up with a dead cat, but a chronically ill and painful one. Most problems can be prevented or controlled with early vet treatment. If you wait, you also run the risk of skyrocketing vet bills, because not only do you have the underlying issues to deal with, but the complications that arise from it.
So ... when the third eyelid pops out in a cat, it always means extreme pain/fever/illness. In this cat's case it may just be an upper respitory infection as you describe sneezing and nasal discharge. You CANNOT just sit by and do nothing. His immune system is probably not up to par or entirely run down and incapable of fighting off infection. I live by a colony of feral cats and when nature takes its course with them, the ensuing result is a slow, drawn out, painful, agonizing death.
Please rush this cat to a vet ASAP! There are so many low cost vets and vets who work with payment plans that money doesn't have to be an issue!!!

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

<< Previous Message:  Third eyelid stuck at "half mast" - Sasheena, Wed Feb 8 21:42:35 2006