return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Earth Day . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Layne Labs - Natural Diets for Pets & Wildlife
pool banner - $50 year

New cat with hair loss

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Cat Discussions ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: PHIggysbirds at Thu Sep 27 10:15:40 2007  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by PHIggysbirds ]  

We had a new cat sitting on our doorstep when we went outside this morning. I am more of a bird and iguana person although I do like cats as well but I am not as aware of skin disorders in cats. My first thought was of course mange. Any time there is hair loss in an animal that is one of my first thoughts. But after a closer examination and a talk with our vet (who does treat cats but mainly works with exotics) I don't really think it is mange. I was told she would have to examine it to be certain but that mange usually has certain symptoms in cats, yellowing skin, or pink irritated patches. She said that one type of mange usually sticks to the head or face but another may be anywhere. She also said usually the skin is quite itchy and irritated besides the possible hair loss.

Okay so looking at the cat yes there is definite hair loss. There is no pinkness or yellowing of the skin. The skin is very dry no oozing. One place the skin has a blackish/gray appearance but in all other areas there is just hair loss. In the entire time the cat has been here there is no scratching or itching, the areas don't seem to affect it at all. The hair has a brittle feeling in some ways it almost looks like hair regrowth after injury or surgery and the cats back leg has been torn up like in a cat fight but there is no hair loss on it.

The vet also mentioned something about a hyper or hypothyroidism which causes brittle hair and hair loss in cats or overcleaning where they end of licking/chewing their hair off causing brittle hair and patchy hair loss.

Take a look at these photos and see what you think. Anyone seen any cats with these problems? Our usual vet can check the cat out but not until the end of next week since it doesn't seem to be an emergency. Our other local vets don't seem to be as good with animals and I really hate to take the cat to them. Either way it will be seeing our vet but I would like to know if anyone has any ideas or suggestions!

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Hide Replies ]

>> Next topic:  Strange sleeping noises - arianna, Fri Sep 28 22:31:45 2007
<< Previous topic:  Tritrichomonas foetus - phillyboyintn, Sat Sep 22 00:50:49 2007