return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

RE: How important is 7 weeks with mom?

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Cat Discussions ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: gocatgo at Sun Aug 12 09:29:50 2007  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by gocatgo ]  

I was presented with my first cat, Samantha, when she was only 6 weeks old. She was from a 'free to good home' ad. Pam got her for me as a surprise. Neither of us knew any better at the time. She's a very well adjusted cat and I've never had any problems with her. The only difference that I've noticed in her from the others is, she's very possessive of me. I am HER mother. She is always with me and loves to be in my lap. She follows me from room to room. This is fine with me because she's my baby and I love to baby her. She is the alpha cat and she and Simba constantly fight for this position.

Since I was new to cats, I didn't take her to a vet or get her spayed or anything like that until I went on the AOL catboard. Then I learned how to really take care of my cat. But anyhow, I kept her kittens until they were 12 weeks old, then placed a 'for sale' ad in the paper. They were all well adjusted but don't know if they were any better off than Samantha at six weeks.

If a person is giving away kittens at 6 weeks, they're going to give them away or sell them whether or not you take one or two. Being younger than 12 weeks would not stop me from getting a kitten. Samantha is a kneader, but so are her two daughters who I have, KatyKatt and Katrina. And they were allowed to nurse as long as they wanted. It's probably genetic. Simba is not related to them but he both kneads and humps. He starts out kneading and ends up humping. I doubt if that has anything to do with the age they were taken from their mother.

-----
Ruby and the Kitties
Simba, Samantha, Katrina & KatyKatt
Meow!! Meow!! Meow!! Meow!!

How wonderful to do nothing and then rest afterwards. Meow!

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

<< Previous Message:  RE: How important is 7 weeks with mom? - GinnyJ, Thu Aug 2 14:52:05 2007