return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

BIG scare!

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Cat Discussions ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: Yakster at Mon Jun 18 17:14:24 2007  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by Yakster ]  

I had last Thursday afternoon off but was running around and didn't get home until after 5pm. I walked in and looked at the catbox area and got the scare of my life! Bloody urine all over the place, three little drops of blood, cat litter everywhere and Chris missed the box when he pooped. I ran into the bedroom where he was on the bed, snatched him up and just started sobbing. I called around and we found an emergency vet. Spousal unit came home to me sobbing and telling him that we had to take Chris into the vet. We got him in the carrier and off we went, me sitting in the front seat sobbing, barely able to breathe.
The emergency vet, bless her heart was standing at the open door when we got there. She took his temp (normal), listened to his heart, and catherized him. Got some urine with a little blood in it (less than I thought). Of course Chris has a UTI so we brought him home with 20 days of Clindamycin.
On Saturday, he kept going to the litterbox and nothing happened so back to our regular vet he went. She switched him to Clavamox with Baytril to make it a wider spectrum and pumped him full of subcutaneous fluids We had a really rough day Saturday; Chris just wasn't feeling good at all. I'd take his water bowl into him on the bed, however he was so full of water, he wasn't interested. I put him on my lap and when I switched him over to the spousal unit, he piddled all over him. We found that this had also happened on the bed so for the second time in a day, the bedding got washed. It seemed like every time we moved Chris, he would just lose control and pee a LOT. We washed quite a few towels and clothes. My poor babykins was just miserable! Also, the Clavamox with Baytril was not going down well at all. We'd try to get it in him and he would literally froth at the mouth.
Sunday was a bit better, Chris ate a little bit and I'd take him his water dish about every half hour. When we tried to give him the Clavamox/Baytril last night, he barfed it up immediately so we went back to the Clindamycin.
Today, Chris seems to be feeling better. He's still not eating well at all, at least he's eating a bit.
I know that at age 18 1/2, Chris is considered an elderly cat. Some days I think that I would be able to handle losing him and then something like this comes up and I just can't stop crying. I just want him to get over this infection, feel better, and start eating and drinking more normally. I also realize that at this age, it's going to take him longer to recover.
I just don't want this to be the start of a downhill spiral like what happened to my baby girl SkuShi. If it is indeed that, we'll have to deal with it.
Chris has been a gift in my life for 18 1/2 years and I'm grateful for every single day we've had with him. I'm hoping there are many more days to come.
I love my babykins........................

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: BIG scare! - CarolEm&Ed, Mon Jun 18 17:50:22 2007
>> Next Message:  RE: BIG scare! - stacyann98, Tue Jun 19 12:58:22 2007