return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

RE: looking to get a tonkinese

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Cat Discussions ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: 2TonksHere at Sun Sep 2 09:00:47 2007  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by 2TonksHere ]  

Tonks are tonks...males and females are equally as cuddly and affectionate...the concern may come in if you are like me and have multiple cats and still plan on adding on at some point...generally...you can keep adding males together and not run into any problems (aside from the first few days of adjustmet), but it is recommended you only have one female in the bunch...the female cats sometimes don't play nice in the sandbox with other females cats...that's a nature thing...not necessarily a tonk thing...(this of course, may not hold true if you get both at the same time, they are familiar with each other, and/or sibling kittens)

Your breeder, however, will/should give you the best advice regarding the cats she is specifically giving you...she will know the temperment of her queen and know what she will do best with. My advice, if you are looking to get a queen I would base the kitten on what would be best with her temperment, as she is the established personality. For instance, some queens breed well, but did not play mommy well and become aggressive toward kittens, yet do well with other adult cats, so although the breeder may still have her give birth she will remove the kittens and have another mother take care of them, Obviously this would not be a good choice if you wanted a kitten also. (This was the case with my Bentley's mother, when she came up for adoption I steered clear of her and bought Bentley's father for my parents instead, I had to wait longer for him, but it was worth it)

When you go to the cattery you may see a whole bunch hanging out together you will get the impression everyone in the cattery gets along, but what you may not realize is the breeder knows who will cause problems and won't let them out in gen pop, especially while you are there...

Don't be afraid to ask your breeder a lot of questions about the temperment of the specific cats you are interested in...make her put them together so you can see how they interract, if something doesn't seem right ask for a different cat...you want Tonks who can/will lay in piles and get along with you and each other...you want to be able to enjoy them. There was a person on this board not too long ago who had a kitten who just did not play nice...and she did have to re-home him...it happens, and it was heartbreaking for her...

I hope this helped...

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

<< Previous Message:  RE: looking to get a tonkinese - mscm95, Fri Aug 31 22:05:45 2007