return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Gecko . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - May 25, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - May 25, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Tucson Herpetological Society Meeting - May 27, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - June 01, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Whats FIP?

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Cat Discussions ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: 2TonksHere at Wed Sep 5 09:14:12 2007  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by 2TonksHere ]  

I also had a kitten die from it...it is the most frustration cat disease out there...

Basically, every cat is born with a certain gene...the gene mutates when exposed to the coronavirus causing the disease to ignite...it attacks random organs...it disguises itself as other illnesses...so you spend months treating the superficial illnesses when the reality is the disease is slowly killing the cat...it is 100% fatal...and completely random...kittens are more susceptible, especially if they have a compromised immune system...

Catteries will claim to be FIP free...but the reality is any breeder who shows their cats can bring it back to their cattery...an adult cat with a strong immune system will not get the virus...but if exposed at a show to another cat who has been exposed he/she can bring it back to the cattery unknowingly and then expose all the cats in that cattery...exposed mother with no symptoms cats can also pass it along to their unborn...(some breeders quarantine their show cats for a period of time after a show as a precaution.)

My Aston (picture below) was doomed from the get go because he was born underweight...somewhere along the line he was exposed, and what we thought was a simple cold was the beginning of three months of vet visits and antibiotics...Aston's littermate also born underweight is still alive and well, Bentley who took care this poor kitten until the bitter end, sleeping with him, grooming him, using the same litterbox ect...is healthy as an ox and it has been over 2 years since Aston died...proof that it is not contagious per se.

My advice...as there is no fail safe against it...do not under any circumstance accept a kitten who does not appear 100% healthy...you want a healthy weight, clear eyes (very important), active, no sign of nasal discharge (very important)...Aston had conjunctivitis and nasal discharge when I took him home...these are two of the beginning symptoms...however, they are also common cat ailments that can easily be cleared up...you never know...but you don't have to take the chance either...my Finster also has nasal discharge...turns out he has seasonal allergies, him and my son are snotty together during spring and fall.

Oh...and another reason you don't want any nasal discharge from the get go is that cats are very susceptible to a certain herpes virus which causes chronic snots...also no cure...it is not fatal and it is manageable...but quite annoying...we first thought that is what Fin had until we started seeing the seasonal cycle...

Bottom line...a good breeder will have the majority of healthy cats, will not want you to take home a cat that is questionable, and will stand behind the cat in case FIP occurs...although it is not their fault, you have an expectation of buying a healthy cat, and a good breeder will offer some kind of guarantee.

Aston 9/04-3/05 We miss you.

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Whats FIP? - mscm95, Wed Sep 5 11:38:17 2007

<< Previous Message:  RE: Whats FIP? - stacyann98, Wed Sep 5 08:40:11 2007