return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Tinley Reflections: An open letter from Mom . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Healthy Herp
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Oppinions needed...

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Cat Discussions ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: CarolEm&Ed at Sun Jan 20 16:46:11 2008  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by CarolEm&Ed ]  

First of all, bless you for what you are doing to help this poor kitty.

My advice would be to keep doing what you are doing. A few weeks is really nothing when it comes to convincing and older cat that she needs to change her ways. It took me almost six months when, years ago I introduced Piewacket into the house where Poochie had been the OC for seven years.

Keep her separate, but keep trying supervised introductions. And, at the same time if you can, put the word out to any rescue groups in the area. An older person who has just lost a pet might love to adopt Delilah.

PS: Please keep us posted!

Carol, Emily, & Eddie

>>it's been almost a month since we brough Delilah into the house...and things seemed to be going well, but now we have some problems...
>>
>>Basically...she was an only pet for 11 years and now that she is used to her new surroundings has decided that she really really does not like the other cats...they will come up to her and she immediately gets defensive and for the past week it then turns into a pretty vicious cat fight...mostly between her and Bentley...who up until now they were tolerating each other...
>>
>>She is declawed and defenseless...he is docile until provoked but I wouldn't mess with him once he is pissed...and she will just not play nice in the sandbox...and all three will gang up on her.
>>
>>For the past two days I have segragated her to the guest room...this was her safe space anyway...her own litter, food and water...but the door was open and the other cats would come and go and she would venture out...but since the fighting I just don't think it's safe.
>>
>>She is 16 years old...I took her because my friend could not find anyone else to take her after her father died...so if I can't keep her she will simply go to a rescue and who is really going to adopt such an old cat...she is really really people friendly...just doesn't want the other cats around...and let's them know it. Now I know these things sometimes take time, and I will keep trying to assimilate them...but I also do know that sometimes an animal should just be an only pet...and this is the hardest possible situation a new older cat coming into a rediculously multi-cat/pet home...
>>
>>So, my question is...am I doing a disservice to her by keeping her segragated in the guest room, she has a full size bed with extra pillows and quilts, a chair with pillows, a cat bed and plenty of sun light...I feel her chances of getting adopted are slim to none at this point and then she will be stuck in a cage at the rescue...at least she has her own room here...I don't mind having her...she is really no bother, but she is not getting the human attention she would have if she was an only cat in another home...we go up and visit her periodically throughout the day...and she is all sorts of purry, but it's not the same...and I feel bad.
>>
>>any advice? I want to do what is best for her...

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Hide Replies ]

>> Next topic:  Cat Puebla - stacyann98, Mon Jan 21 12:33:00 2008
<< Previous topic:  eye color change - baka, Tue Jan 15 11:26:57 2008