return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Healthy Herp
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Grooming Tonks

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Cat Discussions ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: Fuzygupy at Thu Feb 21 14:13:56 2008  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by Fuzygupy ]  

>>Hi Tricia,
>>
>>Thanks for the advice. I am actually doing that: first I pet them, then I put the brush on the floor and let them play with it, so that they do not consider it something scary. My younger boy is much more difficult to groom, the older one will let me brush him and he even enjoys it. The younger one is more difficult in everything: nail clipping, brushing, towel-cleaning .
>>
>>Pet smart also sell waterless shampoos - a foam which you can clean your cat and then towel-dry. I tried it once but it was not very popular with them.
>>
>>One more question - when my younger one start to resist and wants to set free and escape shall I let him go or keep him a bit tighter and let him learn to accept the grooming?

For your younger one, lure him to you with a tasty treat then give him a swipe with the brush, praise and make a fuss over him, then give him the treat. Again something you give ONLY when you brush so the brush = good things. For either of them when they show signs of having enough let them go. If you force them to stay when they don't want to it will turn the grooming session into something negitive which will make them avoid the brush all together. They shouldn't need any kind of bathing unless they get into something that can't be gotten rid of any other way. I only bath my cats a day or so before a show and since my cats LIKE to show they know bath time = show time and show tme = them getting LOTS of attention and baby food! If they're not being shown I tend not to bath at all. Hope this helps. Keep us up to date on you babies and how things work out for you
-----
PURRS!!!!
Tricia
Da-Katz Tonks
Siamese on valium/Burmese on speed!

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

<< Previous Message:  RE: Grooming Tonks - baka, Thu Feb 21 13:05:34 2008