return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Polar Rodents - US based provider of frozen rats and mice.
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Bentley is Bi-Polar

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Cat Discussions ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: 2TonksHere at Sat Dec 6 09:25:36 2008  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by 2TonksHere ]  

Actually all cats are territorial by nature, in a multi-cat household where all is well, they have just worked out their spaces, some of which can overlap...

and actually, female cats are even more complex and in addition to the regular territorial issues, they can do something called "get out of the nest" aggression where they will suddenly turn on a younger male cat they either bore or "adopted", once they have decided its time for him to take care of himself. As well as specific "Female-Female" aggression where one cat simply resents the other one in her space. Period. This looks a lot like regular territorial agression and is handled the same way...separate and reintroduce.

I'm not trying to scare you or even say this will ever happen in your home...just be aware this dynamic is occurring and if one day your home is upside down...this is what's happening and it can be resolved...I was completely freaked out when Bentley suddently went "crazy" until I read up on it and realized what what happening (thanks again Carol)

My cats lived in peace for 3 years before our first knock down drag out episode...which was about a dominant Female cat coming into our home who would not submit. (but he was taking it out on the younger two males) Now, that she was re-homed, ours has more to do with the two younger ones coming into maturity and testing Bentley's alpha standing...I'm pretty sure they don't really want it, as they immediately submit to his tantrums...(although he likes to hold the grudge for a few days) but one day if one of them decides it's time, I'm going to have to let them 'figure it out'. I am not looking forward to that day. AS of right now, they are back in a pile again...

My vet told me something very interesting...they (vets) have a saying..."For every additional cat you bring into the home, the problems increase exponentially"...
-----
Lisa, owned by Bentley,Alastair, Finster, & Trysta (greyhound)

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Bentley is Bi-Polar - cailin, Sun Dec 7 19:34:35 2008

<< Previous Message:  RE: Bentley is Bi-Polar - cailin, Fri Dec 5 17:07:32 2008 image in post