return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Healthy Herp
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Defecating outside box

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Cat Discussions ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: CarolEm&Ed at Tue Sep 22 16:39:58 2009  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by CarolEm&Ed ]  

Hi Denise.
I'm assuming it's not possible to set up a box that only Cara has access to, in case it's an issue with not wanting to go where Mia has been.

I haven't had any problems with Emily and Eddie, but when I had my two little DSH rescues--Poochie and Piewacket--I did have a similar problem with Piewacket. I think it was because Poochie was the alpha cat and demanded, and got, more attention. And Pie did seem sort of depressed to me, too. So I made a concerted effort to give Pie as much extra attention as I could and it seemed to help. Maybe you could try giving Cara some extra attention and affection beyond what she already gets.

A friend has been having a similar, but worse, problem with her cat going into their room and going on her husband's clothes. They had him checked out and there's nothing physical, so they got a pet behaviorist to come to the house. She made all kinds of recommendations--including a new kind of litter, some odor diffusing enzyme stuff, antidepressants (for the cat), and keeping the bedroom door closed. Fortunately for the cat it seems to be working, because the husband had issued an ultimatum. It was hard for me to keep my mouth shut when this was all going on, because the source of the problem was very clear to me: The husband hates the cat, and the cat knows it.

I firmly believe that these wonderful little creatures are every bit as capable as we are of having emotional issues, and maybe Cara's is that Mia sometimes picks on her...

Please keep us posted.

Carol, Emily, & Eddie

>>One of our two tonk sisters has been defecating outside the box...literally, just outside, on the floor outside the box. We have now changed litter type in 2 of the 3 boxes, added the 3rd box, put the (new) 3rd box in a different location (laundry room, the other 2 are in bathrooms on separate floors), added Feliway pheromone diffuser to the house. Cara (the culprit) sometimes seems a little depressed or distant. And Mia sometimes seems to bully her. Mia outweighs Cara by at least 2 pounds, but they are both quick so they don't seem to hurt each other. No claws seem to be involved in their spats. They are 14 months old, both spayed. The do sleep & cuddle up together. Fecal tests came back negative, so it's behavioral.
>>
>>Has anyone had issues with 2 tonks with behavioral issues? We are at a loss.
>>-----
>> Denise, Cara & Mia

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Defecating outside box - 2TonksHere, Wed Sep 23 15:15:46 2009

<< Previous Message:  Defecating outside box - 2dzzz, Mon Sep 21 22:00:08 2009 *HOT TOPIC*