return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Tinley Reflections: An open letter from Mom . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

It's Not Easy Being Green (Part 2)

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Cat Discussions ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: cyclopsgrl at Sat Jan 19 09:54:51 2008  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by cyclopsgrl ]  

Maryland is having a huge campain to get everyone to replace incandescent bulbs with the new energy saver kind. There is actually a big local scandal because they sent two bulbs to everyone to try and then later informed they were charging everyone $12 on their energy bills... We are following the saga locally in the paper to see what happens...

But, back to the subject... About three years ago, I replaced a large florescent business-office-like 6 foot rectangular bubble on my kitchen ceiling (what the builder put in all condos) with a much maller attractive ceiling fixture. I figured then and there I didn't want to be climbing up and down yearly to replace the bulbs and put in the new energy saver kinds as they say good for 9 or so years each. More out of laziness than being earth friendly/green.

Well, the past couple weeks, in light of all the controversy and feedback from folks (many who have replaced bulbs, have seen a savings in their eletric bills with them, and they are earth friendly), I've replaced all my easy to reach bulbs (all ground level lamps and lower hanging ceiling fans/dining room fixture). I'll get to my closet lights and hall lights as they burn as I'll need a step ladder for those. So, I am about 70% on the new energy efficient ones.

Just wondering if anyone else has done this. My friends did a couple months ago (changed out pretty much all in the house) and they really noticed a dip in their bill.

The only difference I notice with these is they take a second to react/turn on when the switch is flipped (some are immediate, some hesitate) and take about 30 seconds to warm up. They start dim and not long after are at full on strength. The light appears the same to me in the room, maybe a little brighter.

I found a six pack of GE "60 Watt" equivalent bulbs at 6 for $10 (actually burn at 13 Watts vs. 60 Watts). The ceiling fan bulbs were a little more (3 for $10), but they need to be "jiggle" proof from the fan movement. I hear you make the money spent back and then have saving savings overall. 6 for $10 isn't bad at all...
-----
Tammy and Pookey
(Stanley 8/91 - 8/07)

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: It's Not Easy Being Green (Part 2) - ttpurr4cat, Sat Jan 19 14:01:42 2008
>> Next Message:  RE: It's Not Easy Being Green (Part 2) - kittyromeo, Sat Jan 19 16:30:21 2008
>> Next Message:  RE: It's Not Easy Being Green (Part 2) - ThreeCalicos, Sat Jan 19 19:41:26 2008
>> Next Message:  RE: It's Not Easy Being Green (Part 2) - pmantone, Sun Jan 20 14:01:42 2008
>> Next Message:  RE: It's Not Easy Being Green (Part 2) - ThreeCalicos, Sun Jan 20 17:00:05 2008