return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Horned Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Healthy Herp
pool banner - $50 year

RE: not on a jury

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Cat Discussions ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: ThreeCalicos at Thu Jan 29 22:15:28 2009  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by ThreeCalicos ]  

Yep. Just sit and wait for some judge to let them know they wanted a panel. Every once in a while the phone up front would ring and the lady would say she'd be calling another group. (Supposedly, the names are randomly drawn by computer.) So then we'd all listen.

Mostly, it was boring although a good place to people-watch if you like that. I was amazed at some people. Most dressed comfortably but decently but there were a couple of women decked out in rather inappropriate dresses and high heels. Maybe they were looking to snag a lawyer. And one young guy was in a suit and tie but that may have been how he is comfortable.

I don't like to make chitchat so didn't talk much although the guy next to me was kind of interesting......a PI and process server so we talked some. He said they knew they wouldn't ever seat him since he works for the court but they made him report anyway.

I took snacks, canned drink in with me so wouldn't have to buy any food. Also a note pad, book, etc. to keep myself amused. Several of the young people had electronic whatevers to play with and a couple had laptops. Security like at the airport. There were restrooms, vending machines and water fountains available so you could get up and go when you needed and we got a twenty break mid-morning if anyone wanted to leave that floor or go outside to smoke. Cell phones were okay to use so lots of people talked on the phone but she did say if we got called for a panel to turn it off when we got in line because the judges got furious if a cellphone went off in the courtroom. I saw several people turn theirs off as they were walking to get in line so they took her seriously.

It was an interesting experience but all I wanted to do. I know people who really want to serve on juries but I'll just read my mystery books. LOL Was told that when they call out a big group (40 ) that it's usually for a murder trial since they know they'll end up excusing a lot. That makes sense and one woman I talked to who'd gone out in a big group said they were choosing a jury for a trial of attempted murder. She was excused because she had had an uncle murdered a dozen years ago but she had to go back into the pool.
-----
Jeopardy, Catiya, Octavia and Medley

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

<< Previous Message:  RE: not on a jury - marespooscats, Wed Jan 28 00:31:09 2009