return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Horned Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

Budget Tips

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Cat Discussions ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: cyclopsgrl at Sat Mar 14 08:54:59 2009  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by cyclopsgrl ]  

I these times of recession and economic stimulus as all we are hearing on the news and worrying about, does anyone have any tips to share as to how they save a lot of money with the budget so tight?

----

I started shopping at Aldi about a year and a half ago. It cut my groceries in half. The sell primarily their own products vs. national brands, but I was no stranger to generic brands. I find Aldi's products to be the same as national brands. One example of savings is a gallon of any type of milk was $1.99 over the past year. It just went up to $2.20 for any gallon.

I also have done some of the common tips you hear now for years before they became more popular:

Eat out less (maybe once a week with friends and watch what I pick). Take my breakfast/lunch to work and cook at home.

Drive less. I've always lumped errands together and done them all at once and driven in a "circle" rather than run out constantly to do stuff.

Keep the heat/air conditioning at thriftier settings. Heat at 67/68 and air at 76. I know folks that will do heat 65 and air 78 or so. But, with cats, I've kept it a little more comfortable than I might without cats (and put on thicker clothes, etc.)

I wait until it breaks to replace (several year old TVs and my computer was 10 years old before it died).

I haven't replaced my car in years (almost 13 years old). But, it gets 33-35 miles to the gallon of gas (I have a 50 mile round trip daily work commute and little in-town driving).

I buy many of my clothes at a consignment store (especially work skirts for $5-8 vice $30-35).

Drink tap water not bottled.

Get my books/videos at the library vice paying $25 for a new book/video or video rental fees. About quarterly, Blockbuster will send out a rent one get one free coupon or rent one for a dollar and I'll do that.

Turn off lights in rooms I am not in (and have replaced many of my bulb with the longer lasting squiggly type). But I don't use the new bulbs in a room I need immediate in and out light in (like a closet or hallway) because they take up to a minute to get fully bright.

I have basic cable, dial up computer, cheap AOL internet ($14 a month) I negotiated several years ago, and a $20 a month unlimited phone local/long distance calling plan (after all the taxes and regulatory fees, it comes to $30 a month for unlimited calling).

If I am restless and have a hankering to just get out and shop, I'll walk around a Dollar Tree/Dollar General/Family Dollar Store. Aldi, Dollar Tree, and WalMart are my top shopping stops. I only go to a department store or mall if I REALLY need something only they have (electronics, etc.) I make it to my mall once or twice a year.

I max out my retirement savings (401K and IRA) first and put a set amount into savings every month (for emergencies) before I ever spend it on anything aside from the bare essentials (food/mortgage).

I'll have my condo paid off next year, NLT 10 years. I put all my thriftiness into paying it off. A car payment that I've avoided goes to it, tax returns, etc...

I am curious to see what others do to save $. It has become fun for me thru the years to see how little I can spend (within reason) and focus on future goals. My parents are really thrifty and I learned it at an early age. Free gov't cheese, generic foods, wondering if the light bill is paid, and hand-me-downs shaped me and made me cautious. I may be more passionate than others and understand that, but I have one goal -- to retire between 56 and 62 and have spent years working towards that goal. I may have to work part time, but it would be something I love or at least like.

I am curious to see what tips others have to save.
-----
Tammy and Pookey
(Stanley 8/91 - 8/07)

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Budget Tips - teganslaw, Sun Mar 15 14:07:20 2009