return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

RE: My dinnertime visitor

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Cat Discussions ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: Ninga at Thu Jun 26 18:14:27 2003  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by Ninga ]  

When you do trap them and have them spayed, do they become traumatized? I am kind of afraid that she will run and not come back.
I don't think she will go far or for long as she knows there is food provided daily. She might not show up for a day or so but I think she will come back.

I can't really take her into the house right now because I have a 5 year old daughter that I don't think the kitty will adjust to very well. I don't want her to disappear. We live at the intersection of two very busy roads and I'm afraid to scare her into running too far.
Could you possibly get ahold of a large dog crate and keep her in your bedroom with the door shut so your daughter can't go in without supervision?

I think that she may have kittens somewhere also. When she came to eat tonight I got a look at her belly and she looks like she's full of milk. I tried to watch where she went when she was done but no such luck. She has become used to my voice and actually seems to be paying attention to me sometimes when I talk to her but she runs from everyone else in the family if they go out to feed her. I really hate the thought that there may be babies out in my yard somewhere and I can't find them. Do the mother cat's usually keep the babies close? Thanks for all the help. At least now I know that I'm making some progress with her!!
Ok, if you think she has babies, now is not the right time to trap her as the babies may not be old enough to be without mama's milk. Mama will have the kits fairly close but still hidden to where it will be hard to find them. I don't think she will take the chance of being away from them too long for fear of something finding and killing them so she will have them in the near area. Just take your time in following mama to see where she has them hidden. Be careful and not get too close if she acts like she will protect them as a mama cat can (and will) defend them ferociously. Maybe you can move the kittens into a large crate when mama isn't around and then when she comes back you can close the crate door and bring the whole family inside but where your daughter can't be around them.

It took me two years to get one feral (Carmen) to trust me and be able to handle her but she is a very loving lapcat now and more than worth the time spent on her.

ps: all of our cats are either rescues or reformed ferals

-----
Topaz an Da Idyho Clan
Vester, Mystry, Trey, Gidget, Tuff. Rusti, Michael, Carmen, KC, Badger, Panda, MamaCat, Tasha, Chip, Sierra and Tribble

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Hide Replies ]

>> Next topic:  will Oliver's sad tale have a happy ending? - oliverzgon, Tue Jun 24 22:06:45 2003
<< Previous topic:  Jynx - michelle22214, Fri Jun 6 13:17:30 2003