return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Healthy Herp
pool banner - $50 year

The Tribe...

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Cat Discussions ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: Sasheena at Sat Jan 10 22:48:25 2004  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by Sasheena ]  

I thought I would share my own experiences with Feral cats, though they have only been in my life since hubby and I bought a new house!

First a little about me and hubby. I grew up with cats, and until I was 23 I was always around them. Then I went to college and when I came home from college found I was allergic to cats! I never knew while I was always with them, but the separation was enough to mean i couldn't tolerate long term association with them. Hubby has always been allergic to them. When we got married in 2001, it seemed fairly obvious that cats would never be a part of our lives.

After we got married I sort of got "into" reptiles and then into mice to raise to feed the reptiles and of course because I like the little furry critters too. We bought a new house in August of this year, complete with a "mouse house" for my furry and scaly friends. Shortly afteer we moved in we noticed that cats were hanging out in the side yard near the "mouse house". It didn't take long before we could see them in our back yard. Hubby started to croon to them and next thing I knew he was bringing home a big bag of catfood.

Now we have our group of cats, all of them with names. When we first moved in there was "Momma Kitty" who was seen nursing the 12 to 16 week old "babies". She seemed huge. Black, with a white face and tummy and legs. Two of her "kids" seemed most friendly, a long haired gray tabby with the same white face and belly, not to mention about 7 extra toes between her two front feet! And the other was a short haired gray tabby with no white. We called them Sparkle and Twinkle. Then one of their siblings decided he wanted to get in on the action. He was a short haired gray tabby with a perfect white face and paws, so we called him "Pretty Face". The fourth sibling makes short appearances but doesn't seem to like people too much. Hubby calls her CoCalico. All of these, Momma Kitty and her four babies, are willing to be fed, but not willing to be petted. Another visitor is Pantera, a male pure black tom cat who had obviously been strung up by the tail as he had a newly half amputated tail. He loves attention but rarely comes around. To round it all off, we have "Twinkle Twin" who looks like one of the "kids" but is obviously an old roughed up tom cat, a dullish gray tabby.

We've progressed to the point where the cats come into our kitchen to eat, even come into our living room to admire our snakes or our gerbils, and come into my mouse house when I am cleaning mouse cages and rat cages (and OH, they LIve for that occasional escaped mouse!)

We believe that Sparkle and Momma Kitty are both pregnant now. We are hoping to find out if there are any programs to help us to pay for getting them all fixed. We know we can catch them easily enough, and there are vets in our small time, but hubby and I are both high school teachers and do not have money to pay for multiple cat fixing. So we are going to do research to discover if there are any programs so that we can get the cats all fixed so that we don't have to have a plethora of cats calling our home theirs and breeding themselves into oblivion.

Anyway, thought I would share the story of the kitties who have decided we are there to serve them.

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: The Tribe... - PHAbymom, Sun Jan 11 00:38:43 2004 image in post