return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Horned Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Layne Labs - Natural Diets for Pets & Wildlife
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Need help with feral kittens

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Cat Discussions ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: PHCatnip at Mon Jun 28 18:02:50 2004  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by PHCatnip ]  

>>A few days ago, I found 3 kittens in our garage at work. The mom has shown up a few times too. The kittens run around on their own. I have been leaving food out for them, and they eat it. I want to try and catch the kittens, so I can tame them and find them good homes. Any suggestions on how I can catch them? They are very good at hiding and I cannot find them. But the next morning, the food bowl is always empty in the garage and there are no other animals around.
>>
>>Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Hi,
Can you borrow a humane trap? Your local shelter or a rescue group should be able to loan one to you. This is the best way to catch feral kittens. Put some smelly food inside the trap and they will go inside. Keep it covered with a sheet or tablecloth so they don't get too panicked once they are caught. There are smaller traps made especially for small animals that have a more sensitive trip plate, so you may want to get one of those as well as the full size version for the mother cat. She needs to be spayed so she doesn't produce more kittens. If you happen to catch a kitten, put another trap in front of that one, cover them both and leave only the front end uncovered. The cries of the kitten will lure the mother cat so she will hopefully enter the trap. If you hold off feeding them one night and then set the trap early next morning, you may have better luck since they will be hungrier. Cats are active at dawn and dusk, so these would be your best trapping times. You may also want to try calling some local rescue groups and ask them to help you trap. They will often come out and show you how to set the trap and offer advice on handling the kittens once you catch them.
Good luck!

Dottie

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

<< Previous Message:  Need help with feral kittens - danit, Sun Jun 27 09:52:27 2004