return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Layne Labs - Natural Diets for Pets & Wildlife
pool banner - $50 year

Trying to help a local stray, need advice

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Cat Discussions ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: AnneL at Mon Aug 30 06:57:17 2004  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by AnneL ]  

I live in a small, historic neighborhood in upstate New York. It's on a river, kind of quiet, quite a few neighborhood cats. I have 2 indoor cats, littermate spayed girls, 3 years old. They're very indoor--have become agoraphobic, in fact!

Well, a local long-haired cat seems to have adopted me. It's hard to tell if she has an owner; if she does I don't think the owner is very attentive. She was very thin when I started feeding her about a month ago, still on the thin side although she eats around 1 6 oz can of cat food every day and doesn't seem to want more (couldn't handle the dry stuff my cats eat, didn't seem to be able to chew it, I wonder if her teeth are okay or if she's older). She's very affectionate. I sometimes wonder how bad a stray longhair will get to looking... it's possible that someone is combing her once in a while, I don't know. Maybe I share her with neighbors, but she seems to be on my porch almost every day now, miaowing for food and attention.

Anyway, winter will be here in a few months. I will never be able to let her in the house, I don't want to introduce her to my 2 indoor cats (my apartment is small, and my cats have minimal shots from a holistic veterinarian), but I wouldn't mind having her be my "outdoor kitty." I also want to know if she's had her shots, since my children and I pet her, and she's nipped me a couple of times (seemingly in fits of affection), but hasn't broken the skin. If she has no owner, I will get her vetted (I think she's spayed, or maybe a tom, but also might have worms, or worse?), then purchase or build an outdoor enclosure for her for the winter. I don't want to have to plug anything in in order for her to keep warm... any advice on what sort of bedding I should use so she'll be warm enough outside in an enclosure? I'll build the enclosure next to my house under an awning, where she's getting her food and water from me now.

My plan is to take a picture of her next month and post a flyer around the neighborhood trying to find her owner. If she has one then I guess I'll proceed differently.

I don't know if I'm doing the right thing (never fed a stray long-term before... although she may not even be a stray), but she seemed hungry and affection starved, and I guess I couldn't help myself.

Any words of wisdom?

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Trying to help a local stray, need advice - JaimeMarie, Mon Aug 30 19:00:59 2004