return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

A typical week at the shelter

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Cat Discussions ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: boisecatman at Sun Nov 27 12:50:39 2005  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by boisecatman ]  

Well, maybe it's more like two weeks but here's a summary of what we see in that time.

We are currently battling an outbreak of upper respiratory infection and have closed the shelter for a few days. Seem to be making headway and should open again soon.

A cat was left on our doorstep one cold morning in a carrier, with a bag of food and her toys. No note, so we don't know her name. She's now called Gretchen. Beautiful black and white cat, well-cared for (until they abandoned her) but still traumitized by the experience.

Someone brought in Milo, a long haired orange and white cat who was suffering from a broken leg. He now has two pins inserted into his leg with an external brace or bar attached for stability. He's healing nicely.

Callie, our upstairs diva, had been declawed by her previous owner but they chose the procedure that cuts the tendons so the cat can't extend or retract their claws as needed. We noticed her claws were curling under and sticking into her pads. It was decided to have her declawed using the usual method and Callie is doing fine. She's an older cat and somewhat of a special needs girl who will probably be a permanent resident of the shelter. That's ok with me because she's a favorite of mine.

Bear arrived at the shelter with a dog-inflicted injury on his backside that required stitches. He also had developed an abcess that had to be treated. He's a big, sleek, black cat who just had the stitches removed and is very friendly towards people.

Heidi's history was one of abuse at the hands of her former owner. She used to get locked in the clothes dryer for hours at a time. She has beautiful green eyes and a pretty, round face. She recently went in to have two little cysts near her eye removed.

A nice gentleman brought in O'Malley, a long-haired orange kitten who was suffering from a URI. His eyes were so matted with discharge he could barely see. Unfortunately, it was discovered O'Malley had distemper and he died a few days later even though he started receiving vet care immediately.

Norman left the quarantine area and is now downstairs and available for adoption. This poor kitten has been prone to URI's and actually lost the use of one eye due to inflammation when he was just a tiny kitten. He's getting big but is extremely shy. It will just take the right kind of home for him.

Snickers was another dropoff at our front door. She was left with Butterfinger who was adopted quickly. Snickers doesn't have the outgoing personality so it will take longer. I think she's still offended at being dumped by her former owners.

Patches is with us because her former owner died. She's one of our older cats (about 12) and this can make it hard to find a home but I've found it just takes that one person to make a good match.

Well, sorry this is so long but I just wanted to give an idea of the things we see in a short period of time. If possible, I'd like to pass along the website address of our shelter. The site includes photos of many of the cats I've mentioned here.

Thanks

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: A typical week at the shelter - Wiscats, Wed May 31 19:55:20 2006