return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

FeLV - need answers

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Cat Discussions ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: Dandilion at Sun Jun 4 23:22:41 2006  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by Dandilion ]  

Hello,
I have a problem with my 1 1/2 yr old, indoor, neutered, male cat. He was JUST diagnosed with FeLV.(He must've been born with it)The 1st sign that there was anything wrong was this year in Feb. then March, and now. The first 2 months that this happened, each episode lasted for 5 days, then he was back to normal. He was sleeping a lot, not drinking much water at all, and he was having problems urinating,(with very little outcome). So,I was thinking kidney stones, not FeLV. Well, now he has regressed and his symptoms are even worse. He first started showing signs (little water intake, sleeping alot, lethargic, wobbly rear end) about 11 days ago now. On 05/30, I took him to the Vet. because he would start to growl, for no apparent reason. He obviously was in pain. An X-ray showed that he had dried feces in his colon that he apparently was having trouble pushing out. So,they gave him an enema. Since then, he has only defecated once. He is dehydrated, and getting worse since he will not drink anything at all now from his bowl.

Starting 06/01,I started giving him Pedialyte & water, via/syringe (often). He is dehydrated, much thinner, and has constant dry mouth. I tried feeding him all his favorites for 2 days & he wanted none of it. So,yesterday I started mushing up wet cat food, and feeding him 24ml. every 5 hrs. via/syringe. In his feeding session, I also give 12ml. Pedialyte. With the syringe, he laps up the food like he is very hungry. And, yet he won't eat any other way. Why do they stop eating? do you know?

My question is this, have you ever heard of a cat with FeLV, that went downhill so quickly after they FIRST started to show signs? From what I've read, cats don't usually show signs of FeLV until they are 3 yrs old. Why would mine start early? When the Vet called w/his blood test results, he told me he had the virus, but did not say it was in a severe stage, or give any inclination that was where he was quickly heading. So, I'm in a panic because he is deteriating so quickly. Would baby food have better protiens, than wet cat food? Should I give him that? And, how much/often? Also, will I be syringe feeding him for the rest of his life? What makes them bounce back? I figure that if I keep him fed and hydrated, that secondary diseases won't form, like kidney failure & so on. Am I wrong in thinking this? What secondary infections can still occur if his body has nutrients & fluids?

To me, he is my son. And, I will be devastated if he dies before I can get a handle on this situation. Any advice that doesn't come w/a price tag, seems to be more honest & helpful. When I pay for it, advice becomes misleading. I don't need a Vet. to tell me I should hospitalize my cat, when there is less than a 50% chance of him coming out of this. Also, I don't feel right leaving my cat at a place that does not have staff to monitor him overnight. From previous experience, I've come to the conclusion that Vets give advice based on money, and not with consideration to my animals outcome. If my lil guy doesn't have a chance, then further Vet care is just more suffering on his part. So, some honest answers would be very helpful at this point. Please give me your thoughts, I am totally lost here. What would be your next step?

Thank you, - to anyone that responds.
Dandilion

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: FeLV - need answers - PHKitkat, Mon Jun 5 00:10:58 2006
>> Next Message:  RE: FeLV - need answers - PHDrTobin, Mon Jun 5 11:34:01 2006