return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Earth Day . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Polar Rodents - US based provider of frozen rats and mice.
pool banner - $50 year

possible Feline Lukemia

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Cat Discussions ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: TheCatnip at Thu Feb 8 12:40:13 2007  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by TheCatnip ]  

I guess my question is two fold. We got our Norweigan Forest Cat, Sigrid, from another military family on the base where we are currently stationed. She is approximately 2 or 3 years old and current on all her shots. Since we've had her she's been a moderately energetic cat, would play chase with my husband through the house and such but really more of her time was spent seeking a lap to cuddle in. Had never had a medical issue in the months we have had her.

Now, first question is...do Humane Societies have to test for feline lukemia when a cat comes into their care? And if the cat is a carrier are they obligated to tell the adopting family?

I ask this because Jan. 20th we brought a gorgeous cat home from the humane society as a companion for Sigrid. He is current on his shots, and overall a very healthy cat..and remains so even now. He is VERY active and that level hasn't changed at all

BUT...

Now Sigrid is sick, very sick. About a week after we brought Talouse into the home Sigrid started sneezing and had runny eyes. We boosted her vitamins and kept her seperated from him and a few days later she was back to her old self. Running and playing with Talouse and with our family. Suddenly, approximately two days ago..she is listless, drinking excessively, has a bit of wheezing but no runny eyes and no sneezing. We tried upping her vitamins again and making sure she had all the water she is wanting and her own bowl of food. I should say her appetite in all this has not fallen off at all. Today she has vomited twice, a clear fluid that to me has the consistency of phlegm like a child would cough up when they have a bad cold. We contacted our vet on base and she said that she most likely has feline leukemia but she can't see Sigrid until Tuesday (today is Thursday). Which brings about my other question

What can we do for her, to help her feel better in a holistic manner until her appointment on Tuesday.

And if Talouse is a carrier and she's become sick because of that is there still a need to seperate them? I am baffled why she, being an adult, would have this now when according to her records in the vets office she's not tested for it previously and she does have all her shots...Mind you, she is grumpy and he pretty much avoids being in the same room as her as it is.

I'll stop now because the more I type, the more questions that come to mind. Thank you for your time on this, right now I am hoping the vet's assumption is wrong and perhaps it is something else that's wrong with her and will be cureable.

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: possible Feline Lukemia - PHDrTobin, Fri Feb 9 08:20:53 2007