return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

Feline Vestibular Disorder

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Cat Discussions ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: cforan at Fri Jan 25 00:27:37 2008  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by cforan ]  

Hi there,

I am new to this msg board and I do have a question about my cats health. His name is Gizmo and he is just about one of the sweetest cats you would ever meet, of course I am biased because he is one of the five loves of my life.

When I got Gizmo a year and a half ago he appeared to be healthy, I brought him to a vet and got the health check and the ok. Then about a week later I woke up one fearful morning to find my baby walking in circles with eye tracing and all the characteristic signs of Vestibular problems. He was rushed to the vet and put on amoxicillen (originally diagnosed with an inner ear infection). I called the cattery in which he came and found out a few other cats had ear infections at the time.

After my own researching and a trip to a different vet we came to the conclusion that it was his Vestibular apparatus that was causing the problems. As I am sure you know, this disorder is very confusing and I couldn't find as much information on it as I had hoped. Thankfully now he only has a slight head tilt, mild balance problems and eye tracing when stressed.

Now my questions to you are; could it have been an inner ear infection that originally caused this? Could his flight have been the cause of the problem? Or is it more then likely idiopathic? Are there any alternative meds for his problem that I don't know about? And last question... Do you know of any other tests or non-invasive procedures that can be done to shed light on his situation? (blood scans and x-rays have been done)

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Feline Vestibular Disorder - PHDrTobin, Wed Jan 30 14:57:31 2008